Has anyone gone through the labour process, fully dilated (with any other help forceps etc) ended up with EMCS, to then go on to have a VBAC with DC2? And if so how did it go and how long did it take second time around? My first I fully dilated, failed forceps, EMCS = 32 hours. I have posted similar questions on here I know but I'm still not 100% what I'm going to do in regards to ELCS or VBAC in Nov. I've heard 2nd, 3rd etc births are always quicker but since dc1 wasn't born vaginally I'm wondering if it doesn't count?
I only got to 8cm before my EMCS but my VBAC last week took around 9 hours from first noticing twinges to DD arriving. As you were fully dilated first time then getting to that point should be like a second labour; after that will be more like a first - at least that's what I was told.
Got to 9cm on DS1 before EMCS for feral distress. First twinge with DS2 was at 545am. Went to hospital at 9am to be told I 'wasn't in active labour'. Went to delivery suite at around lunchtime. He was born at 20:45 that evening.
I had 20hr labour with my eldest and had EMCS for fetal distress. Second baby, my waters broke at 1am, contractions started at 2am and he was born at 5am so 4hrs from start to finish. I'm 36 weeks pregnant with number 3 so am hoping for an easy time like number 2 again.
Daff that's amazing!! That just sounds like a perfect scenario, and no pain relief either??
Abbey I didn't even really think to ask about how long they will let it go for, I thought they would just let it be as they did last time. I really need to start writing these questions down! How long do you have left x
Im 28 weeks at the moment and see the consultant at 34. I'm not convinced about VBAC as my history is complicated, but my hospital really push it so I'm researching it lots too. I actually don't want a CS or a VBAC but don't think that's an option to magic it out
They told me they wouldn't allow a long labour, no drip, no induction as it puts pressure on the scar. But I have a small age gap so I think my scar is probably a bit weak compared to others? So if I go overdue it'll be a CS as they won't induce me, so might be worth asking about that too
I got to hospital at 3am so managed to get some gas and air. I was quite lucky they told me to come in straight away despite no contractions until 2am, if they hadn't id probably have given birth at home.
Just to add to the comment above - they told me 12 hours was the max they would let me go. At one point things started to slow down and they told me that if i didn't progress within an hour it would be a CS. They moved my position (onto my left hand side) and things got back on track thankfully !
My first was 31hrs. I was fully dilated for 8hrs, had two failed ventouse attempts, failed manual rotation attempt and emcs.
Attempted a vbac with dc2 and had a 38hr labour and another emcs.
I think the key thing is to go in with an open mind. You already know that it's totally out of your control in some respects. The baby and its position are often the key deciders of what happens and it's important to know what decisions you'll make in each scenario which may present. So if another cs becomes necessary, you may have choices within that. My second cs was v positive. DH watched the whole thing, I felt very supported, immediate skin to skin and bfing. It was a very therapeutic and healing process.
Just done see another cs as the enemy or a failure. It's a marvellous and life saving op and it can be a wonderful, empowering experience.
Great thread Mummy. I am due in November too and Last time I was almost fully dilated (they had me push for a while as they thought I was then decided there was still a little lip so I was only 9.5. Then an emcs for fatal distress. I am keen for VBAC too. I was told I would not be allowed to labour for more than 8-12 hours or so (they will let you go as long as 12 as long as you are actually progressing well, but not otherwise).
Saul, that's such a shame, at least you tried though well done, I have a feeling (for some reason) that the same thing will happen to me!
Ah cookie we are together in this then! I really would like to have a vbac because I want to be able to go home with my baby, drive and be able to carry on as usual without having a major operation! Do you know what you might do?