Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

What is this scan?

(3 Posts)
ejclementine Tue 30-Jun-15 07:26:55

Hi, I've got my 12 week scan today (13+4). As well as the normal scan, there is a letter offering to take part in research and have an additional scsn that looks at the blood flow in the placenta. Is this internal does anyone know? If so what's an internal scan like?

MrsAnxiety1 Tue 30-Jun-15 07:38:56

Placental blood flow is using Doppler ultrasound, which has risks and benefits that should be explained to you. Usually it's done externally, but I'm not sure how they'd do it at that early a gestation or even what problems they'd be able to detect as it is usually done at 20 weeks+ to check that the umbilical blood flow is sufficient (and also at all growth scans).

If it is internal, then it's a long probe that is covered and has a lot of lubricant applied. It's not the worst thing in the world but it depends whether you're used to internals... I don't think I'd have wanted one at 12 weeks, but that's just me wink

ejclementine Tue 30-Jun-15 07:54:23

Thank you - finally managed to find the letter and it covers what happens. Feel better now!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now