Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Is evening primrose oil ok to take to try and thin and ripen my cervix?

(5 Posts)
cleoteacher Wed 11-Feb-15 22:04:44

Had sweep and only. 1cm dialated. Been reading, on mostly american sites, that EPO can help thin out and ripen the cervix.

Is this right? Worked for anyone? Is it dangerous? These women seem to take it orally and insert 3/4 capsals at a time inside themselves.

bigfam Thu 12-Feb-15 04:42:36

In my experience it made no difference what so ever, maybe it works for some people?

cleoteacher Thu 12-Feb-15 07:41:14

These people on website seemed to swear by it. Guess worth a try but won't hold my breath it will work. Having acupuncture today too so hoping that will work.

Bondy83 Thu 12-Feb-15 08:57:01

I've been taking 2 orally and inserting 2 of a night time for the past week nothing has happened for me so far

BlueDiamond89 Thu 12-Feb-15 10:55:22

In my experience it worked for me during my first pregnancy and I'm planning on using it again this time round. I think I started taking it at 39 weeks (orally and insert) and at my 40 week appointment I had the sweep and I was 2cm dilated (that was on a Friday) and my waters broke on the Sunday night. I dilated from 3cm to 10cm in 2-3 hours, so I would say keep taking it.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: