Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Dentist check up & clean

(12 Posts)
ambientolf Tue 03-Feb-15 15:33:59

Hi, I have just seen the midwife & im going to send off my form for free prescriptions/dental care. I already have a dentist check up & an air flow clean booked in May. Will I now get those free? The clean isn't mandatory but I choose to get it done once a year. Should I tell my dentist now or when I get there? Thanks grin

GoooRooo Tue 03-Feb-15 15:37:23

I went to the dentist this week for a broken tooth. I don't even have my maternity certificate thing yet but she didn't make me pay - she took my word for it and ticked the pregnant box on the form.

You should tell your dentist whatever you're having done because some treatments aren't suitable during pregnancy. My hygienest refused to clean my teeth when I was in early stages of pregnancy last time - no idea why! This time the dentist wouldn't use a silver filling and I have to have a half crown instead.

ambientolf Wed 04-Feb-15 21:26:25

Oh I didn't realise I may not be able to get them cleaned! I'll give them a ring after my first scan to let them know & see what they say. Thank you

misseskimo Wed 04-Feb-15 23:41:45

I'm not sure what is and isn't included. I thought it was just checkups and fillings. The type of stuff you usually get on NHS but I went to the dentist the other day for a checkup and asked whilst I was there about a new mouth gaurd (for teeth grinding) I've always had to oay privately for these in the past, about £120, and so thought as I was getting the checkup for free I'd "treat myself" to a new one, as I get cashback for dentistry via my private healthcare scheme which I usually save for my checkups... So he did my impressions for the gaurd, said he'd order it etc. Then when I got to the counter the girl told me that it was covered by my maternity certificate! So it's best to ask as it seems other things are also covered! X

tuffgingernut Thu 05-Feb-15 07:54:33

Hi. You'll get the check up and any necessary treatment covered but not the clean I'm afraid.

bonzo77 Thu 05-Feb-15 08:11:31

Fgs. If you are pregnant or have had a baby or still birth in the last 12 months you get all NHS dental treatment for free. If you are offered private items you pay for them. Sometimes seeing the hygienist is a private item. Oh, and you can have cleaning at any stage of pregnancy.

TakesTwoToTango Thu 05-Feb-15 08:55:13

But only from an NHS dentist. If you usually see a private dentist, you won't get that for free [wishes there was any hope of getting registered with an NHS dentist round here]

LittleMiss77 Thu 05-Feb-15 11:50:12

I've had white fillings and a clean (I hadn't been to the dentist in about 10 years) FOC as I'm pregnant.

booked in for regular cleaning (every 3 months) until the dentist is happy with them. These will be free until July 2016

Jenny1231990 Thu 05-Feb-15 12:08:58

I had my teeth cleaner in early pg don't worry. Only think they didn't do was the X-ray x

GinIsCalling Sat 07-Feb-15 01:50:10

My doctor told me to go get my teeth cleaned. Bad gums increase the risk of premature birth and regular cleanings reduce the risk apparently. So the cleaning wasn't just ok, it was advised.

WingsClipped Sat 07-Feb-15 09:07:52

^ yes cleaning is advised in pregnancy as lowers chance of gum problems which can cause premature labour.

ambientolf Sat 07-Feb-15 10:33:22

Oh didn't know that! Thank you

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: