Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Stupid question about plug

(4 Posts)
Madjackmcvitae Sun 09-Nov-14 17:43:11

Hi

I'm 38 weeks pregnant and due to go into hospital tomorrow for final growth scan and possible induction of labour. Big baby due to gestational diabetes. I have two other kids but never noticed lost plug with them. Anyway last two days I'm assuming this is what has come away. Does that mean the cervix has already thinned and is starting to open?

I'm scared the hospital will leave me to go naturally as my first was a four hour labour and second was forty mins. Only just made hospital and a 3rd degree tear.

Thanks for reading.

GreatJoanUmber Sun 09-Nov-14 18:19:11

It might mean that you have started to efface, but losing your plug does not mean labour is imminent.
Will they check you internally at your appointment? Not sure if they would push for you to try naturally if you are already effaced and dilated, I suppose it will be down to your consultant.

Madjackmcvitae Sun 09-Nov-14 18:24:24

They did mention doing an internal examination at the appointment.

Feel quite scared this time round. Not sure why.

Annarose2014 Sun 09-Nov-14 18:34:13

Plug is fairly meaningless. I lost mine Tuesday & no baby yet!

Generally hospitals will want to induce for size, but unless its absolutely massive I wouldn't bother. So many 10 pounders are born these days. Its not really a clinical rationale in itself.

But if you want to be induced to be in control of the situation then you can request it. If you have GD they'll probably go along with it, if its your preference.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now