Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Having a sweep at 39 wks, head not engaged - waste of time?

(10 Posts)
goofygoober Fri 11-Jul-14 10:35:42

Due to my age (over 40), I will be induced at term. I'd rather it all started spontaneously, so I have 2 sweeps booked this coming week. I don't think the head is engaged yet - will it be a complete waste of time? I'll do just about anything to get labour started without induction.

I have a very busy week next week, lots of walking and activity, as well as the sweeps. Anyone got any positive stories of sweeps before term? grin

Flisspaps Fri 11-Jul-14 10:48:47

Is it your first baby? Subsequent babies often bob in and out, or don't engage until labour.

Do you want to be induced, or would you prefer to wait until after 40w with additional monitoring to see if things start?

I find sweeps pointless regardless of what point you're at - they did nothing for me at 41w grin

goofygoober Fri 11-Jul-14 12:48:48

Thanks for your reply, this will be DC4. I don't want to be induced, but it is the hospital policy and they are very reluctant for me to go over term. Worst case scenario will be an EMCS. Getting very worried now sad

Emmie10 Fri 11-Jul-14 12:54:38

I had a sweep on my due date and although head was not engaged, baby was born the next day.

WhoMovedMyVuvuzela Fri 11-Jul-14 13:23:55

I had a sweep at 39 weeks and the MW couldn't really do it properly as the head was not engaged. I am still here nearly 2 weeks later! If the hospital had had their way I would have been induced last weekend.

This is DC4 for me too, I've always gone over by a bit so I knew I wouldn't go into labour at 40 weeks. I'm also only just 40 so as I see it the risks are not as high as if I were mid/late 40's.

My hospital also offered a scan at 40 weeks to check fluid around the baby, that was all fine so I'm waiting a bit longer. Not sure what the hospital policy is but from various information and threads on here I have ascertained that you don't actually have to do what you are told.

That said I am taking Caulophyllum which is a homeopathic remedy that is meant to help get things moving (as well as all the other things, just in case they work!).

goofygoober Fri 11-Jul-14 13:57:02

One of my midwives said I could have monitoring - but the doctor in mat ward was very reluctant and said he couldn't go against the policy. I was 41wks with DS3, after 2 sweeps.

Just praying the baby will make an appearance as the whole intervention issue is really worrying me sad

WhoMovedMyVuvuzela Fri 11-Jul-14 14:12:26

Are you very over (age) 40? I (genuinely) couldn't get to the consultant appointment so rather than be told what is what this time around I have said 'I would like' and 'please can you'. I have booked an induction as a compromise, it's later than 41 weeks though. As far as I can see they can't make you do anything that you don't want. I have weighed up the risks etc and am happy with how late I am prepared to go...not sure if that helps or not.

goofygoober Fri 11-Jul-14 19:49:38

Thanks for your reply, I may have another chat with my midwife next week before I go ahead with the induction. I'm 41, feel pretty healthy, no real issues with this pregnancy. Maybe I should be a bit tougher and wait. As long as the baby is ok, I can't see why I shouldn't be allowed to see what happens.

Good luck with everything whomoved and thank you!

Flisspaps Fri 11-Jul-14 20:32:10

You are not required to follow hospital policy, so if you are aware of the risks and benefits of waiting longer, and if the risks/benefits of induction and make an informed decision NOT to be induced at 40w, you DO have that choice.

goofygoober Fri 11-Jul-14 22:13:55

Thanks Fliss, I did freak out a bit when they told me the risks, but one (lovely) student midwife said that I could ask for a scan to check the placenta was functioning correctly. When I queried it with a midwife on the mat ward, she said they wouldn't do that hmm. They could put me on the monitor to listen to the baby though. The trouble is, another midwife said they would give me one go at a pessary, then stick me straight on the drip, which may upset the baby. Then, I may have to have the EMCS - last thing I want ;( I've had a section before, but was awake throughout. Exasperated with it all!

I'm hoping they'll at least let me get to 41 wks. Thanks everyone.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now