Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Obstetric Cholestasis Experiences/Advice/Support Please

(2 Posts)
Isean Wed 26-Feb-14 12:44:05

I'm hoping some of you might be able to share your experiences and offer some advice and support about OC and severe itching.

I'm 30+1 and following raised ALT levels in LFTs on Friday and Sunday, along with intense itching, particularly on my hands and feet, dark urine and pale stools, it's looking like I have OC. I had bloods taken to test bile acid levels, but it will take up to two weeks to get those results.
I have been prescribed urso 250mg three times a day and 1 x 4mg piriton to take before bed. I have to go back to the hospital for bloods and trace tomorrow and then twice a week for the remainder of the pregnancy. I also have to get a liver and gallbladder scan.

The itching is driving me crazy, particularly during the night. I have been applying Dermacool and trying to stay cool, as when I warm up the itching is severe.

I've been googling and it's making me anxious as I keep reading about pre-term labour, foetal distress, having to be induced early, etc.

Can anyone offer me any tips to deal with the itch and share their experiences please? TIA!

Flumpinblues Wed 26-Feb-14 19:49:20

Hi. Didn't want to read and run. I am 38 weeks with my 2nd OC pregnancy. I was diagnosed at 32 weeks with my DD and 30 weeks this time, also on Urso (500mg twice daily) and piriton. Urso is a great help in reducing the itching and managing the condition & reducing risk. But if does take a little while to kick in. The itching is better if you stick to natural fabrics and keep cool too. The best source if info U have found for OC - now officially called Intrahepatic Cholestasis of Pregnancy or ICP - is www.icpsupport.org (there is also a Facebook support group). Hope this helps and sounds like you are getting the right treatment. Good luck x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now