Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

What cold remedies are safe in pregnancy?

(10 Posts)
212smj Thu 06-Feb-14 03:12:05

Can anyone recommend a strong/decent cold and sore throat medicine that is safe to take in pregnancy? I have a bad cough and the throat is red raw! Ouch! I normally would use a Vicks throat spray but I'm 29 weeks pregnant and don't want to take anything that could harm the baby.

Please help me, it's been 4 nights of no sleep and feeling sorry for myself!

TIA

ThistleLickerIsGoingToBeAMummy Thu 06-Feb-14 03:14:34

Paracetamol! Honey and lemon! And if ur really struggling a trip to the docs! I'm 27 weeks and was
Given polcodine/simple linctus and cocodamol for a chest infection!

Hththanks

212smj Thu 06-Feb-14 11:29:35

Thanks. Is there a brand of linctus I can buy that is safe to take?

ThistleLickerIsGoingToBeAMummy Thu 06-Feb-14 12:04:49

Pharmacy won't give u anything. It's from the doctor

K8eee Thu 06-Feb-14 12:54:16

212 I can highly recommend buttercup syrup. That is linctus based. I had an awful cold during my early 20 weeks and felt rotten. 10 days later after dosing up on vitamin c tabs, honey & lemon, plenty of rest and buttercup syrup I was feeling much more myself.

Hope you feel better soon thanks

OrangeMochaFrappucino Thu 06-Feb-14 13:01:29

Me too! 29 weeks, off work today, haven't slept for nights on end and I know Lemsip would sort it all out! Have drunk lots of orange juice and eaten lots of oranges, vegetable curry etc. Going to haul myself up from sofa soon to go and buy lemons to make honey and lemon. Also thinking ice cream for the sore throat?

K8eee Thu 06-Feb-14 15:35:13

Rocket Lollies are good for a sore throat smile and your getting fluid at the same time!

212smj Fri 07-Feb-14 03:41:25

Thanks MNers!

qazxc Fri 07-Feb-14 13:14:40

Honey and lemon either in a hot drink or a syrup from chemist is fine.
Saline squirt up your nose thingy, vicks vaporub, steaming your head, all fine.
Paracetamol is fine also.
Some throat lozenges have very low doses of alcohol. but I think you'd have to eat them constantly to get pissed/ do any damage.
There is also a weird video on you tube on how to clear your nose by doing a holding nose/ nodding/ holding breath technique, strange but works.

Wuxiapian Fri 07-Feb-14 13:45:54

I was told paracetamol and honey and lemon drinks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now