Talk

Advanced search

*Watercress - Tesco UK sugests it's high in vit. A, can we eat it?*

(10 Posts)
Bafreem Mon 15-May-06 22:32:26

Hi all,(UK)
Pregnant again ... (number 7!!)... Love watercress but just spotted Tesco's now suggesting that it is high in vit A. Can we eat it or not??? - Is this another food stuff off the diet list? Anyone know??? - I'm still having problems with peanut butter withdrawral..
Bafreem, Cheshire.

moondog Mon 15-May-06 22:36:08

It's fine.
Seven!!??
Wow,brave girl!

jellyjelly Tue 16-May-06 10:18:11

Fine, it is high in vit a but not compaired to liver or pate(made from liver) that is really high and that we cant eat.

got lots of good things in it

compo Tue 16-May-06 10:21:35

Just to say that if you don't have a history of allergies in your immediate family eanut butter is fine to eat when pregnant. They carry on eating it in the US and Canada because they love those peanut butter and jelly sarnies over there!!

Bafreem Tue 16-May-06 22:20:23

Thanks to all responded
I don't have the benifit of a 'mother' so Mumsnet fills the gaps on all my quiries (not sure I've spelt 'quiries' right)
Anyhow, I'll continue to include watercress in the diet, I might contact Tesco to suggest ammendments to their dietry intruction... Do Mumsnet agree??

Jimjamskeepingoffvaxthreads Tue 16-May-06 22:26:55

It's high in betacarotene- which is converted to vitamin A if needed by the body, Its only actual vitamin A that you need to avoid- which is only found in animal products. So eat away, its fine.

jellyjelly Tue 16-May-06 22:28:30

I wouldnt because factully it is correct, there are alot of other things that are high compaired to alot of other veg so therefore they can say it.(thats is high) I strongly doubt that they will change it.

foundintranslation Tue 16-May-06 22:30:02

It's queries or enquiries
(hope you don't mind the correction - just put my English-lecurer hat on for you!)
This is a good site for what to eat and avoid in pregnancy (posted it loads on here - I don't work for them though, promise )

foundintranslation Tue 16-May-06 22:31:09

lecturer

Jimjamskeepingoffvaxthreads Tue 16-May-06 22:32:22

you could tell them to state that it is high in beta carotene (rather than retinol which is vitamin A). Excess beta carotene is excreted easily from the body, excess retinol accumulates in fats, which is why one is a problem and one isn't. I would be annoyed by them saying high in vitamin A, when it isn't but I am a pedant

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: