Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Flu Jab??

(13 Posts)
lovemybabyboy Mon 12-Nov-12 16:45:58

Just wondered if it is safe to get the flu/swine flu jab in early pregnancy?
I am a nurse so normally get it every year in work! confused
Dont know whether I should get it or not. I am about 5+2 wks.

Ellypoo Mon 12-Nov-12 16:54:23

I thought that it was after 12 weeks that they offered it, but I'm not sure, sorry - not much help!

HavingALittleFaithBaby Mon 12-Nov-12 16:57:30

Yes in fact they actively encourage you to have it! They keep telling me I should when I've already had it. Flu when pregnant puts both you and baby at significant risk. All I'd say is I felt particularly tired after mine because I was pregnant and to bear it in mind!

BonaDea Mon 12-Nov-12 16:59:16

Don't think it matters when you have it, but why not make an appointment with GP then ask?

HavingALittleFaithBaby Mon 12-Nov-12 17:05:20

this link should help

tasmaniandevilchaser Mon 12-Nov-12 17:37:31

I understand your thoughts, I normally get mine at work too but wanted to wait until the 12 wk scan. Unfortunately I still haven't had it as I got pneumonia the day after the scan.

It was very frightening to be that ill and pg. I couldn't face getting the flu as well, so I am very keen to have the flu jab but I'm still not well enough. I think the benefits far outweigh the risks.

SevenElvesAndAReindeer Mon 12-Nov-12 17:40:36

I agree with others, getting flu whilst pregnant puts you at a higher risk of going on to develop further complications. Definitely worth getting IMO.

mysterymeg Mon 12-Nov-12 18:14:38

I'm officially 11+ 5 but more likely to be around the 5 week mark and am getting it tomorrow.

Doc said as soon as possible is best in pregnancy.

ZuleikaD Mon 12-Nov-12 18:15:20

Yes - get it as soon as possible.

Dillydollydaydream Mon 12-Nov-12 18:42:03

When I saw my MW at booking in visit she advised I have the flu jab, also the whooping cough one later on.

xmasevebundle Mon 12-Nov-12 19:25:40

I have just got the flu jab today and im 34 weeks blush

Jenjen85 Mon 12-Nov-12 19:55:38

When I went to the doctors to confirm my pregnancy at 4wks (now 6+2) she gave me the flu jab there an then. She said it has no effects on baby and it was better to have it sooner than later as getting flu during pregnancy can be dangerous

PeppaTwig Mon 12-Nov-12 20:15:20

I just had it on Saturday and it hasn't made me any more tired than usual and I know it's definitely encouraged in pregnancy. (I'm 39weeks btw)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now