Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Glucose Tolerence Test

(8 Posts)
datingthedevil Mon 08-Oct-12 16:26:35

Hi again,

Are there any other ways of finding out if I have gest diabetes other than having a GTT?

I really don't want one as I don't want to be without my anti depressants that long in the morning (I start to withdraw really quickly from them).

Many thanks

C xx

PetiteRaleuse Mon 08-Oct-12 16:38:22

Can they not do the test first thing? This is the test where you have to drink the horrible siropy thing right? Then wait an hour? I had mine don first thing and was finished by half 8.

datingthedevil Mon 08-Oct-12 16:40:38

I wish! My appointment is at 9.30am and they've told me i'll have to wait 2 hours for the second blood test sad

ThreeWheelsGood Mon 08-Oct-12 16:50:16

Are you sure you're not allowed to take your medication?

StateofConfusion Mon 08-Oct-12 17:33:52

I was told to take any normal medication, I'm not on any but that was said at the apt when mine was booked.

Secondsop Mon 08-Oct-12 17:39:06

As far as I know, the GTT is the only way (glucose in urine isn't a reliable indicator). Check whether you can take your medication - some medication can still be taken, either as normal or after the glucose drink.

datingthedevil Mon 08-Oct-12 17:49:13

The midwife is going to check for me about taking the medication. The problem is if I take it on an empty stomach is makes me sick as a dog. And eating will ruin the test!
I love being difficult.
Thank you for your advice!

StateofConfusion Mon 08-Oct-12 18:02:43

Good luck dtd

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now