Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Argh, which tens machine should I hire and who from?

(11 Posts)
tunnocksteacake Sat 01-Oct-11 19:58:32

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

marylou242 Sat 01-Oct-11 20:43:19

I had a mama tens last time and I'm planning on getting one again, haven't looked for the cheapest place yet though. It really helped, I think I had it on from about 3/4cms to 10cms and didn't use any gas and air. After a while, you'll find you have to turn it up higher and higher to cover up the feeling of the contractions as they get stronger, and it starts to feel like you're being electrocuted or something (not painful though). It certainly takes your mind off things and fiddling with the boost button is another good distraction.

ByTheWay Sat 01-Oct-11 20:46:32

Thought it was rubbish - hired one from Boots and although I could feel it doing something, it was soon put out of action with the need for more pain relief.

mrsmarzipan Sat 01-Oct-11 21:00:07

i bought mine from babys r us for thirty quid on offer which is roughly how much the hire was 5 years ago when i had my first.
I didn't get to us it with number one due to being monitored closely and not allowed it for some reason but found it really helpful with number 2 tho i forgot if i had it on pulse or constant during labour so probably not using it right but good distraction.
Am planning on using it again for number 3 so i have had my moneys worth!

xlatia Sat 01-Oct-11 22:24:02

hi!

i hired my mama tens from http://www.maternitytens.com. due in 2 weeks with the first one, so cannot tell yet if it's any good, but the price (promo, around 20 quid all incl.) seemed fair to me couldn't find it anywhere for less

Good luck with everything!

IwishIwasmoreorganised Sat 01-Oct-11 22:25:21

I've used Boots both times and they've been good.

As long as it's got a boost button it'll be fine.

Get it on early for maximum effect.

BedHog Sun 02-Oct-11 10:30:53

I found a brand new Femme Tens on ebay for £15. Definitely worth looking on places like that, gumtree, NCT sales etc., you might find yourself a bargain!

If you think there might be a possibility of you having another DC in the future, or you suffer from back pains, or you have friends who haven't completed their families yet and might buy the machine from you afterwards, I'd definitely consider purchasing a machine rather than hiring one.

Purplebuns Sun 02-Oct-11 11:00:45

I hired from LLoyds pharmacy and it was great, the midwives were impressed with it as it has loads of settings, it was an elle tens machine iirc.
The service was fab as the wires were lost in the delivery suite and I didn't get charged, they also don't charge you if you go overdue.
If you get a tens make sure you get two sets of pads, I had to get changed and my pads got stuck to my gown.etc

trixymalixy Sun 02-Oct-11 11:05:48

I bought one as I intended to use it twice. It was then borrowed by loads if friends and family, although not all actually used it and it still looks brand new so I plan to sell it on eBay.

So it should hopefully have been good value and less than hiring depending on it selling.

tunnocksteacake Sun 02-Oct-11 11:25:13

tunnocksteacake Sun 02-Oct-11 11:27:48

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now