Talk

Advanced search

Braxton Hicks - Anyone not ever had any?

(25 Posts)
Snakeears Thu 25-Aug-11 11:02:26

silly question I know but..

has anyone not had any? I am only 35 weeks and certainly don't think I have but was chatting to a friend from an antenatal class and she feels that she's not had any either and she's 40 weeks - am I just being thick and missing them?

thanks in advance for your help, feeling clueless...

coccyx Thu 25-Aug-11 11:04:29

I have 4 children and never knowingly had any Braxton hicks throughout the pregnancies

Catsmamma Thu 25-Aug-11 11:05:49

I have 3 children and wouldn't know a braxton hicks if i was formally introduced!

benne81 Thu 25-Aug-11 11:07:20

I'm 35+6 and still not had any, apparently some people get them from 20 weeks. I was beginning to get a bit worried (something else to worry about!) but my midwife said sometimes some people just don't notice. I would be interested to see if lots of others haven't felt them - did you have normal deliveries?

benne81 Thu 25-Aug-11 11:08:17

whatever a normal delivery may be . . . confused

going Thu 25-Aug-11 11:08:49

I have three children. No braxton hicks with first two, fisrt contraction type feeling was the start of labour. With my third I had them from 20 weeks!

going Thu 25-Aug-11 11:09:45

My labours were
5hrs
2 1/2 hrs
3hrs

Marrow Thu 25-Aug-11 11:13:22

Two children - no Braxton Hicks.

nannyl Thu 25-Aug-11 11:25:28

im 37+4

Ive had what i think might be braxton hicks about 4 times so far.
however they may not have been....

WeLoveHaribo Thu 25-Aug-11 11:32:49

I never had them with my first, had a 'normal' 6hr labour on due date grin
Now i'm only 16wk so hopefully not far enough on to experience them yet!

emmazed Thu 25-Aug-11 11:39:50

i am so glad you asked. i am 34+2 with my first and not (knowlingly) had any either

Bumpsadaisie Thu 25-Aug-11 11:47:37

I'm 32 weeks with DC2 and dont think I've had them, either this time or with DD1.

I do get this thing where I feel breathless and light headed for a minute or two and then it fades. I wondered, because of the building and fading pattern, that this was some sort of BH, but I don't feel anything contracting and think its probably pressure on my diaphragm.

jcgo Thu 25-Aug-11 12:02:45

38+6 weeks and none yet. My best friend has 2 kids and said she never had any.
Everyone is different seems to be the pregnancy mantra!

cravingcake Thu 25-Aug-11 16:35:51

I've been getting them since about 24 weeks, but didnt know what they were so asked my friends who have already had kids to try to describe them for me and out of 5 that I asked only 1 had had them!

InMyPrime Thu 25-Aug-11 20:58:32

It could be you're getting them and not noticing or realising what they are. I had assumed that Braxton-Hicks were painful as anyone I know who's had them has complained of pain or being kept awake at night with them. THen I saw my midwife this week and just mentioned that I noticed my bump going rigid and feeling very hard at sporadic intervals and wondered what it could be. She said that it's actually Braxton-Hicks and that typically B-H aren't painful, just the uterine muscles 'practising' and contracting. So you never know, you could be getting them and just not realising.

(I'm almost 35 weeks, by the way, and have been having these 'bump-hardening' spasms since about 30 weeks)

acatcalledfelix Thu 25-Aug-11 21:01:32

Non the first time, and am now 31+4 and haven't had any this time either. I'm waiting for them for some reason, but don't think I'm going to get them.h

needsanswers Thu 25-Aug-11 23:05:15

iv been told you dont generally get BH in 1st pregnancies, im 24weeks with 2nd and have had them a few times, 1st time i had them i had no idea what was happening, just woke up in the middle of the night with a tight belly and it was hard as a rock, i started to panic but it went away after a minute or so..

lindy100 Fri 26-Aug-11 03:11:43

I'm currently in labour with DC2 and have never felt any. I've read somewhere that the same things happen, you just don't feel it.

DSis and DM never felt any either. Maybe it runs in families.

uppityduppity Fri 26-Aug-11 03:27:27

I didn't have any painful noticeable BH. In fact after my first labour and delivery it was only I mentioned that my tummy went "pointy" occasionally in the last few weeks to a friend after the fact that she mentioned they were technically BH. Both labours and deliveries were relatively uneventful (except for the arrival of two gorgeous boys) grin

Bumpsadaisie Fri 26-Aug-11 17:46:13

I take it all back ladies cos I think I just had one! I was ironing and suddenly my whole bump went tight for a few seconds. I thought it was baby moving but then realised it couldnt be as it was all over!

Bumpsadaisie Fri 26-Aug-11 17:48:42

PS good luck Lindy!!! Let us know what happens!

OhdearNigel Fri 26-Aug-11 17:49:07

I didn't. First contraction I had was when I went into labour

tabulahrasa Fri 26-Aug-11 17:50:17

two children - none that I noticed

BalloonSlayer Fri 26-Aug-11 17:53:27

3 DCs and never felt one either.

Purplebuns Fri 26-Aug-11 17:55:32

None for me! Not so much as a tight bump even when I was in labour, (that I noticed.)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now