Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.
Tell me what you have packed in your hospital bag...(12 Posts)
I am 37 weeks tomorrow and keep meaning to pack my bag for hospital. I get as far as nightdress, babygro's and nappies and then start doing something else thinking I'll finish it later!!! I really just need a list of what to take for me and baby. This is my 2nd but last time I packed in a panic just grabbing random things so dh ended up bringing stuff in in dribs and drabs.
I am so rubbish at getting organised!!!
So far, nothing, but I've bought bits to go in it (I just need to get round to putting them in ... ). I'm all about lists this week though and I have my list of what's going in it.
- maternity notes
- two super cheap, Primark lightweight nighties: I want the birthing pool so I have a nightie for the water and a dry one for if I get out. They were £6 for the two pack and I plan to chuck them post-delivery
- lightweight dressing gown: for back and forth to the loo
- warm fluffy socks
- proper nightie/PJs for after
- pack of maternity pads: I buy the Mothercare ones with wings, 28 per pack and on special 3 for 2
- hairbrush, bobble, toothbrush/paste, shampoo/conditioner, shower gel
- make-up bag: vain creature that I am, I want to look nice in the photos
- pack of Smartprice granny knickers: much more comfortable than paper knickers
- dark coloured bath towel (hospital ones are titchy and about as absorbent as a housebrick)
- bra: only one as I'll be wearing one when I go in and plan to come home the next day
- chapstick: an essential
- bottle of ice water: 2ltr bottle of water is in the freezer, I'll grab it out when the time comes
- camera, purse, mobile and charger
- clean t-shirt, boxers, and socks so he can freshen up afterwards (those delivery rooms are hotter than hell)
- snack and a drink (he's getting fruit and crackers, I'm not making bloody sandwiches)
- flannel (his job is to dampen it and cool my brow)
- swim shorts and towel (he's allowed into the pool with me)
- three sleepsuits (mine've got built in scratch mitts so won't be packing actual mitts)
- three vests
- three bibs
- a hat
- travel size pack of nappies
- travel size wipes
- Vaseline (put some on baby's bum and those meconium tar-like poos wipe straight off)
- small "hello big brother" gift for DS (2yo) that she will give to him when he comes to visit the first time
I'll be leaving the carseat at home and a bag in the seat with my going home clothes and a jacket/blanket for the baby, DH can bring them in on the day and it saves having them laying around the hospital.
Hopefully I'll pull my finger out this weekend and get it all packed!
this looks like a fab list and roughly what I had planned to take in Am 30 weeks with my 1st so had no idea! Got a maternity nighty today, will get some pjs for after aswell I think. I got the mothercare pads today too.
It was the baby clothes etc that I was struggling with !but i think that I shall pack very similar to you!
Thanks, I am going to copy your list and start packing tomorrow! Always one to put things off.
I think CBear's post should be saved as some kind of 'mumsnet essential' list. Brilliant. Wish I'd had it to go by when I last went in. The only thing that I took and would take again which is not on the list is a pack of Capri sun drinks to sip as water just didn't do the job.
Also take a packet of sweets (my post-labour favourite is Fruit Pastilles)/biscuits and a magazine. I find that with all the hormones rushing around after the birth it can take me a few hours to calm to a mood of sleep so flicking though a magazine with a sleeping baby in your arms can make the time pass. Sweets/biscuits are because after labour I get very hungry between the hospital "meals" : )
I also find a notebook and pen handy for first few days if breastfeeding to note down when you fed and which side off as you quickly loose track of which side and before your milk comes in you don't really have a full and not so full side.
Definitely take going home clothes or leave with car seat for DH, a friend of mine asked her Dh to bring her in something to wear home after she had her first and he grabbed the first pair of jogging bottoms he found - her painting trousers!!!
am going to use this list; http://www.babycentre.co.uk/pregnancy/labourandbirth/planningyourbabysbirth/whattopack/
Also folding change mat handy for putting under baby when changing as you don't have a change table. A few muslin cloths also handy for small pukes.
I've got some lucozade tablets/sweets. Found them great for quick energy boost. Also cartons if ribena- yum!
Need to get maternity pads as just read about the normal pads not being good. Don't show up clots etc....
Must pop my dressing gown in too. I have a list of last minute things that need to go in on the fridge so I can look at it when the time comes. Will be 38 weeks on Saturday eek!!!!
As well as a lot of the things already listed I am taking several bottles of water. I hate hospital water and last time I delivered in Aug I overheated, got dehydrated and ended up with an IV for fluids
Snacks: Dr Kargs energy biscuit things and possibly a small box of Thorntons for afterwards.
Apples: there is never enough fruit in hospital.
Nice mini bottles of shower gels and things from boots.
Cotton wool for my ears: it always noisy when the baby and I want to sleep!
Eye mask: its always to light by the time I want to sleep!
Fybogel : great for helping things along post birth.
Find CBear6's list far better than the baby centre one. Will definitely be printing the list above!
Join the discussion
Please login first.