Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Dark brown spotting lasting a week

(18 Posts)
Macaroona Mon 20-Jun-11 13:58:44

I'm 14 weeks, and have had dark brown spotting for a week now. At first I worried but google told me to only worry if it was red or accompanied by cramping.

After it continued, I rang the labour ward (impossible to get hold of the group of midwives where I'm booked) and a slightly harassed sounding midwife told me to get myself to A and E, which panicked me. I told her it was brown and I wasn't cramping, and she said to just keep an eye on it.

Anyway it hasn't gone and isn't getting lighter - should I go to A and E? Given that it's a bit of a mission by buses (I don't drive) and will I get a scan if I go?

banana87 Mon 20-Jun-11 14:28:23

I have had this for 2 weeks now. My consultant has just been on the phone to me telling me not to worry, esp as I have a doppler at home and can hear the hb. Brown is old blood. I would ring the midwives and ask for an emergency appointment with them and beg them to get you a scan for reassurance. Failing that, you can always go privately and have a reassurance scan.

babydust27 Mon 20-Jun-11 16:58:55

i would ring the A&E department now and check that if you come down they can do a scan or you could ring NHS direct as they will give you loads of advice and can help with getting seen quickly at A & E

PrincessScrumpy Mon 20-Jun-11 17:06:48

I would call GP and get an appointment with the early pg unit. That's what I did and I had a scan the next day - saves hanging around. Labour ward mws won't deal with you until 24w + in my area. I had this a few times and pg is fine - now 26w. Best to get it check though. x

Macaroona Mon 20-Jun-11 17:33:44

Well the NHS Direct is about 5% as useful as googling!

Off to A and E. I'm sure it's ok but really want a scan just to be sure.

banana87 Mon 20-Jun-11 17:43:51

Hope you get a scan Macaroona. IME you will not get one, you will get told to wait until the next available slot sad

Macaroona Mon 20-Jun-11 17:45:57

Not left yet, waiting for DH for a lift smile

How quickly did you get a scan? If I can at least get one this week it's better than nothing, but was really hoping for one tonight.

banana87 Mon 20-Jun-11 17:57:01

I have always just gone privately. But I think you will get one this week for sure. May be worth phoning your GP instead of A&E as a GP will do the same as A&E would.

Macaroona Mon 20-Jun-11 18:04:33

We-ell... the really silly thing is that I saw a GP this morning about my morning sickness meds and didn't mention it blush

I'm in a group practice and didn't think to ask for a lady doctor. The man I saw, I really don't like, I find him creepy and really hard to talk to, so I didn't mention it. I know it's silly, but I didn't want his hands up my fanjo! blush blush blush

banana87 Mon 20-Jun-11 18:19:10

Awww, don't worry! It's fine! I doubt he would check you anyway, probably have a go with the doppler then call EPU. Can you ring and ask a dr to phone you?

Elizabeth32 Mon 20-Jun-11 22:23:06

I had dark spotting at around 5 weeks and lasted for more than 2 weeks. It was implantation bleeding. As you are 14 weeks, it is probably not that, but my aunty had a heavy period for the first 3 months and had a healthy pregnancy. My friend had occasional bleeding throughout her pregnancy and gave birth to a healthy baby - so i would not worry too much but of course get that checked.

pregnantmimi Tue 21-Jun-11 00:14:48

get a scan the doctor should book you in that day if you insist on it I had cramping and red blood 3 times so far 5 weeks 11 and 13 but baby ok xx

xiaoqss Tue 21-Jun-11 01:19:33

Message deleted

Macaroona Tue 21-Jun-11 07:58:20

Ok I'm glad I went to A and E - was seen fairly quickly, doctor poked my tummy and referred me for a scan today smile

Crossing fingers all is ok, I'm sure it is - he said if it's brown blood it's old blood. I want to know where it came from though!

pregnantmimi Tue 21-Jun-11 09:08:25

good luck macaroonaxx

katherine2008 Tue 21-Jun-11 10:04:29

good luck today - let us know how you go!

Macaroona Tue 21-Jun-11 11:18:17

Ok scan fine, happy bouncy baby smile

She took a swab from my vagina to send for testing, she thinks it's most likely a vaginal infection. I've never had one before but she said it can be more common in pregnancy.

Hope this thread reassures anyone else who's had unexplained dark brown bleeding.

katherine2008 Tue 21-Jun-11 13:25:47

Fantastic News!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now