Talk

Advanced search

Gestational diabeties

(4 Posts)
Valiant1 Mon 06-Jun-11 13:13:15

Hi all, I am 23+4 and have been having a lot of thrush with this pregnancy and went to see the nurse today and she said i may i have GD. So she did the prick test and my bloods were 5.3. i havent eaten since last night at 8pm simply because my head is spinning and i feel so yuck. she said all was fine and walked off. is this fine? my mum has type 2 and my uncle and aunt have type 1 so am aware how dangerouse it can be but no experance in pregnacy so any help out there. She also asked if chocolate was affecting me and i said yes as it is, she did a lot of mmmmming ????

Limy Mon 06-Jun-11 21:03:00

Hi Valiant1 I has gestational diabeties, DD is now 5.5 Mo. I am not 100% sure but from what I remember your bloods should be between 4 & 7.5 during pregnancy. They only worry if it gets over 8. I was also told that Gestational Diabeties is completley different to other forms of Diabeties (by the Diabeties doc). If you are worried ask your doctor for a glucose test - I had mine at the hospital it cosisted of having a blood test followed by a glucose test, I then had to wait for 2 hours at the hospital and then a secondary blood test was taken to see how my body had coped with the sugars. If you do have it do not worry too much as long as you follow a healthy diet you will and baby will be fine. My DD had to have a few blood tests on the first and second days but luckily she is fine.

Firawla Mon 06-Jun-11 22:29:25

5.3 is considered an okay reading, for fasting or when you haven't eaten then you would be told that it should be under 5.5 but if you are worried i would ask to be booked in for a gtt in a few weeks because sometimes the gd wont show up til about 28 weekish? i think thats the most common time to have the test, so due to your family history and your concerns i would think you should be having it

Valiant1 Tue 07-Jun-11 08:31:12

Thanks, i am going ring the dr today feel awfull. just really shakey will go to my mums borrow her spare machine. i am going to stay away from the foods and pop with high sugar as she said, just to be safe x thanks for replying x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now