Talk

Advanced search

Can we eat crab?

(7 Posts)
UntamedShrew Thu 02-Jun-11 11:59:38

I really fancy an Itsu california roll (or seven) for lunch but can't remember the deal with shellfish. It's cooked so should be OK right?

icravecheese Thu 02-Jun-11 12:37:55

didnt want to see this go unanswered... I was at a wedding the other week & they were offering round crab canapes... I wasnt sure if it was cooked or not, so declined. THink the jury is still out on it really - if its been frozen before consuming (like lots of smoked salmon has) then thawed to eat, its ok (i;ve consumed smoked salmon all 3 pregs). If cooked, also ok, but I thought sushi type things were raw....

sorry, I'm not much help am i?!!

Scheherezadea Thu 02-Jun-11 12:39:25

If cooked then ok - that's my motto!

Mind, I also absent mindedly licked a spoon I had just whisked egg whites with and worried all night long, so I might not be best for giving advice wink

d0gFace Thu 02-Jun-11 12:44:06

"Eat cooked rather than raw shellfish as they can contain harmful bacteria and viruses that can cause food poisoning. "

www.nhs.uk/planners/pregnancycareplanner/pages/carewithfood.aspx

eurochick Thu 02-Jun-11 12:56:23

I don't think raw crab is edible (at least I have never seen it, so it wil be cooked).

UntamedShrew Thu 02-Jun-11 14:14:49

Great, thank you! I chickened out and had a ploughman's from Pret instead but think I'll be going Japanese tomorrow. Totally obsessed by food at the moment, can't think why! smile

LoveInAColdClimate Thu 02-Jun-11 16:05:24

I once had really dreadful food poisoning from crab so I would probably be cautious but am sure fine if from Itsu.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now