Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Maternity Allowance - Very Confused

(13 Posts)
lgmum2b Wed 01-Dec-10 23:38:34

Hi Ladies,

I decided on a career change earlier this year an as such set up a small business from home yet to prodcue an income. Therfore I registered as Self Employed.

Meanwhile once we found out I was pregnant we decided to give the bank balance a baby boost and I popped back into fulltime work with a contract from August - Dec where I was put on the companies payroll therefore went back to being an employee.

As I've not worked for 26 weeks I understand from what I've read that I'm not entitled to Statuatory Maternity Pay but more likely to be entitled to Maternity Allowance.

I can't find any forms to fill out on line to apply for this, can anyone help by confirming what I am entitled to based on my specific circumstances as above? I'd really appreciate a steer in the right direction.


ecuse Thu 02-Dec-10 00:07:47

There are details of how to qualify and a number to call for a claims form here if that helps?

ecuse Thu 02-Dec-10 00:09:14

sounds like you probably qualify, by the way

spaceangel1382 Sat 04-Dec-10 19:22:04

citizens advice sorted me out with my maternity allowence, and everything else I needed. some forms quite confusing but they are a great help

jessi0343 Sat 04-Dec-10 19:27:44

I called the maternity allowance benefits number 0845 608 8610. They were pretty helpful, because the website is fairly vague.

RugbyWidow7 Mon 06-Dec-10 12:00:40

Hello everyone - hope I'm not too late to ask a question about this.

Can I just check that the only difference btw statutory and MA is that with MA, you don't get the first 6 weeks at 90% pay?

I'm also freelance and ttc, just worried about what I'll get not being in full time emplyment.

thank you

craftynclothy Mon 06-Dec-10 12:08:17

RugbyWidow - that's correct so long as you don't have a small earnings exemption certificate. If you have one of those you only get the minimum (a little over £30 a week)

RugbyWidow7 Mon 06-Dec-10 12:14:45

right, thanks Crafty. It's not great is it, but it doesn't sound as though there's not too much difference btw MA and SMP, to warrant going back to full time esp. for this reason. (if I've figured it out correctly!) Thank you

lee69 Mon 06-Dec-10 13:11:18 t.pdf
/You can do this online,and save the form and it tells you all the relevent forms you have to send in like your MAT B 1,I sent mine in by registered post once completed.It also gives you info for your qualifying 26 weeks
I had worked 3 part time jobs (but quit two in summer)so I was really confused about where to start, but the download form is really helpful, you also have 13 weeks of wage slips to provide and try to choose the weeks you have earned the most.To prove you have earned over £30pw
they took about 2 weeks after I sent off the forms to start my payments.
Hope this helps x smile

buttonmoon78 Mon 06-Dec-10 14:43:55

Even if you have a small exemptions cert you can make 13 weeks of voluntary NI contributions and get the full MA amount.

This is what the guy on the helpline told me last time. He said 'some people do this. I can't possibly recommend that you do this but some people do and end up with the full amount'. He was lovely!

Good luck with sorting it.

lgmum2b Mon 06-Dec-10 22:28:40

Crafty hope you don't me asking for a bit more clarification.
I got a national ins bill of about £30 for my self employed status. My accountant toldme to apply for a deferment as I returned back to work for a full time freelance contract.
I just want to make sure that if I file the deferment I'm not losing out on getting the top level MA which as I've worked fulltime between Aug - Dec I can provide the 13 weeks of payslips which should entitle me to the upper level.

Am I better just to pay the NI in regards to the self employed stauts to ensure I get the MA top level?


buttonmoon78 Mon 06-Dec-10 22:36:26

That's what I did. If you don't then I think you'll get the lower level which is about £30 as opposed to whatever the higher level is (about 120?)

Have you told your accountant that you're pg?

Emsyboo Tue 07-Dec-10 12:28:52

I think they give you around £124 a week or 90% of your earnings with musings about 'or whichever is least' it's not a lot anyway.

I had real trouble with baby brain and filling in all the forms but had a clear day printed it all out so I could focus and got it sorted I am getting the £124 a week when I finish better than nothing but not great at all.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: