Talk

Advanced search

Fellow Witches unite - Any plans for Samhain?

(37 Posts)
TheHedgeWitch Sun 05-Oct-08 14:54:29

Message withdrawn

SaintGeorge Sun 05-Oct-08 15:00:37

Not doing much this year, too much on.

Will probably do our traditional meal, with a spare place set at the table smile

If the weather stays dry enough I might get out into the garden to my altar and have a bonfire.

S1ur Sun 05-Oct-08 15:06:02

<sneaks in at the back to observe customs>

Hope you don't mind smile

charchargabor Sun 05-Oct-08 15:08:03

<sits next to Slur>

watsthestory Sun 05-Oct-08 15:11:40

Message withdrawn

GentleOtter Sun 05-Oct-08 15:21:49

We have a huge celebration here - big bonfire, dooking for apples, clean the house from to to toe, open all the windows to let bad out and good in, candles etc.

mrsmortenharket Sun 05-Oct-08 16:05:56

<<budge up slur and char>>
can someone please explain the customs of samhain? tia xxx

GentleOtter Sun 05-Oct-08 16:20:36

Samhain

TheHedgeWitch Sun 05-Oct-08 16:27:05

Message withdrawn

expatinscotland Sun 05-Oct-08 16:30:53

here in the Western Highlands, it's a big deal!

but i might be having a baby on the day, so can't really make any firm plans.

the girls will be celebrating - the Forestry Commission puts on a big party for the wee ones with dooking for apples, guising and the like.

DD1 is going as a fairy. DD2 will be upsy daisy.

mrsmortenharket Sun 05-Oct-08 16:32:42

many thanks xxxx

NoblesseOblige Sun 05-Oct-08 16:35:12

usually spend the day making decorations and cakes and biscuits for the evening. maybe do a meditation later and light a candle

PurplePumpkinWitchyOne Tue 07-Oct-08 17:41:10

Will probably bake some biscuits, then make a nice meal in the evening.
The DC's will prob want to carve the pumpkin and light a few candles. And the rest of it will happen when the kids are in bed!!! wink

We usually go for a nice walk on the way home from school, to look at all the lovely Autumn Trees.Then we have a lovely Samhain Meal, with the extra place.
The Dc's will dress up in costumes as soon as they get home and wait for the trick or treaters.
Once the Dc's are in bed I'll light my candle in the window, light my woodburner in the garden and sit outside for a bit quietly contemplating (weather permitting)

Autumn is my favourite time of year and Samhain my favourite festival, so I'll be spending most of the day cooking for the big meal,I'm a kitchen witch so my rituals are incorporated into my cooking most of the time anyway.

SuperBunny Fri 10-Oct-08 19:37:55

Since I'm in the US, Hallowe'en and Trick or Treating takes over a bit but we'll probably go for a walk and run in the leaves then have a special lunch with a spare place set. We'll have a pumpkin and candles too.

My mum will be here so it will be a nice family day. DS is old enough to ask questions and be interested in some of the things we do, so I'm looking forward to it. I wish I could have a bonfire.

Earthymama Fri 10-Oct-08 19:41:23

I posted on the other thread......

SuperBunny Fri 10-Oct-08 19:45:25

FMF, I'm nosey curious - what will you make?

SuperBunny Fri 10-Oct-08 19:47:12

Fullmoon, I'm confused - are you FMF? I'm thinking now that you are not...

theSuburbanDryad Fri 10-Oct-08 19:49:21

We might go up to the Long Man to do a ritual with dh's old Moot group!

Other than that we'll probably be fending off chavs kids who want to egg the house!! hmm

Expat - i want to come and spend Samhain with you, your dd's sound like they're going to have a lovely time!!

expatinscotland Fri 10-Oct-08 19:52:07

dd1's all excited.

Dh is great at carving pumpkins, too.

we usually do 'no lights' the entire evening.

all candles.

meal at sundown and then DH will take the girls off to the forest because the baby will either be still inside (in which i'll be miserable) or just born.

he's due on Samhain, the baby.

now THAT would make for an interesting life!

SuperBunny Fri 10-Oct-08 19:54:35

How exciting, expat!

expatinscotland Fri 10-Oct-08 19:54:42

it'll REALLY feel like a new year if he's born on the day or before it .

Menu wise- we normally have Roast Pork with lots of in season veg, potatoes etc.
Pudding will be something with Apples and Blackberries, I haven't decided yet thoughgrin

I always make a lovely home made loaf, pumpkin pie, and lots crescent cookies during the day.

In years gone by I have made Remembrance Cookies, these are the same mix as Crescent Cookies but with Rosemary added and shaped as people ( I used a gingerbread man cutter). Whilst eating them you would remeber loved ones that have passed and I would leave some out by the bonfire as an offering for the wandering souls.

Anyone who comes trick or treating at my house gets Crescent Cookies grin.

solidgoldskullonastick Fri 10-Oct-08 19:55:49

Oooh, Expat, hope you do get a baby on Samhain, how lovely.

OK so I am a militant atheist, but I love to mark the turnings of the seasons, so I will be putting out a pumpkin to encourage trick or treaters (all the local littlies come round, very few thugs), cooking the insides of the pumpkin with bacon, garlic and spaghetti, taking DS dressed up round the block to get sweeties for the first time now he is 4 - and then on the Saturday we have a proper halloween pissup party at toddler group.

expatinscotland Fri 10-Oct-08 20:03:57

we're going to fullmoon's for dinner .

usually do bacon/pumpkin risotto and apple cobbler with gingerbread biscuits for tea on the day.

and more than one pumpkin.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now