Talk

Advanced search

Anyone a member of Mothers' Union?

(4 Posts)
MrsMargoLeadbetter Wed 10-Aug-16 21:18:01

Hello

I have a work opportunity with Mothers' Union. I just wondered if anyone on this thread has had experience of membership and what you thought generally? They are looking for help with growing membership.

TIA

GoldenWondering Fri 12-Aug-16 08:16:12

I'm not baptised so I would not be able to join, but quite apart from that, I'm divorced and I get the impression that I'm the sort of thing they would like to stamp out in favour of supporting stable families. Sorry if that sounds really negative.

I first became aware of the Mothers' Union when I visited a Church of England aged 10 and there were all these Mothers' Union banners about the place. I asked somebody about them and all they could tell me was that you had to be baptised. I think maybe there needs to be a bit more awareness of what they actually do, as all people seem to know about them is this one fact.

I don't actually know anybody my age +/- 15 years who has been baptised.

I think they do some interesting and useful work but it is not for me, because of my circumstances.

Heathen4Hire Fri 12-Aug-16 22:57:28

It should change to Parents Union.

GoldenWondering Sat 13-Aug-16 09:51:37

They do accept men as members. I know this sounds a bit mad but Mother can actually be quite a loaded term eg if somebody commits terrible crimes on their child they are always referred to as a so-called mother, when they are in fact the mother. Sorry, that bit was totally irrelevant.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now