Talk

Advanced search

Update on wondering why someone might not take communion

(12 Posts)
GoldenWondering Wed 18-Nov-15 17:38:09

Hello again.

I posted a thread asking for possible reasons that somebody might not take communion and I promised an update. Here I am with the update. I went to school with the person many years ago. Then they moved away. I see the person at church as they have moved back. Recently I was in hospital, quite unexpectedly, and this person who works at the hospital popped their head round the curtains to say hello to me. They were not involved in my treatment though, and don't work in the same department where I was.

I quite liked the person, and they always smiled me at church. It feels like quite a hostile environment to me so that sort of stuck out. I didn't want to ask the person out as I assumed they were a committed Christian and I am not. Then when I noticed that they weren't taking communion I began to wonder if they really were a Christian after all. That's when I had the brilliant idea of posting on here to find out why someone might not take communion.

Long story short, I now seem to be sort of seeing the person, and I am very happy about that. The person isn't a Christian any more and hasn't been for years.

Piratespoo Wed 18-Nov-15 17:44:37

Why are you both going to church then?

annandale Tue 12-Jan-16 00:40:47

Golden I'm so delighted to hear that. Your original thread was one that stayed with me as you sounded trapped, to be honest, but also a person that really deserved more from life. I hope you have a good time with your new beau.

DioneTheDiabolist Tue 12-Jan-16 18:39:35

Thanks for the update Golden. I hope it works out well for both of you.smile

LadyMaryofDownt0n Wed 20-Jan-16 13:56:37

God works in mysterious ways my friend. You both have been blessed!

captainproton Wed 20-Jan-16 13:58:56

Maybe they are not confirmed?

Movingonmymind Sun 24-Jan-16 11:11:45

Morning, need to focus back on what am grateful for.

So, ddog and his silly ways, so loving, eager to please and is a very mindful soul with no worries about his past or present 😄; shelter and food; the wonderful world of escapism into books and theatre, my big joy! And a home-based job which despite being lower level than I've worked for over a decade - which I admit I'm not yet humble enough to accept fully- enables me to be with Dc (a duty not a joy, often with a teen) and to have the occasional dog walk during a break.

Movingonmymind Sun 24-Jan-16 11:17:23

Sorry, wrong thread!

Heatherjayne1972 Sat 13-Feb-16 08:15:42

Why would someone not take communion well it depends not sure about the Catholic Church as I believe you not supposed to unless you been confirmed
In the free church you are only meant to take it if you are 'born again' they usually say to let it go by if you're not Or sometimes if a person is under church discipline they're are asked not to Sometimes an individual might choose not to if they feel their relationship with God isn't right (personal and subjective tho ). Mostly it's encouraged
Does that help??

OzzieFem Sat 13-Feb-16 10:50:55

Maybe they have children in a church school and they need to keep their attendance up, even though they no longer believe?

Floggingmolly Sat 13-Feb-16 10:56:23

Maybe they haven't been to confession recently. Or they've done something they'd rather not confess...

catbasilio Thu 03-Mar-16 22:21:21

I am not married in church, only civil marriage, and according to Catholic church it is a sin as in God's eyes I am not married and I live with a man. For that reason I don't take communion. But I know plenty of people in my situation do.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now