Talk

Advanced search

Christening questions

(11 Posts)
Annbag Sat 22-Nov-14 18:33:37

I really hope these aren't daft questions, but I've never been to a Christening before and have just been invited to a Catholic one. An internet search suggests different things so I thought I'd ask mumsnet!

Dress code - I understand this is smart, but how smart? As smart as for a wedding?
Presents - I've read a present is expected. Does this still apply if you've already bought something for the newborn already?

Thanks in advance

BikeRunSki Sat 22-Nov-14 18:36:12

Not a smart as a wedding.
Yes to present. Small and keepsakey- money box, bible, nice edition of traditional children's book...

Floggingmolly Sat 22-Nov-14 18:36:34

Not anything like as smart as a wedding; just, you know, it's in a church so relatively modest. No short skirts or plunging necklines...
And a present should not be expected.

AuntieStella Sat 22-Nov-14 18:43:45

It's Sunday Best (not full on dress up weddingy).

Present not expected (but suggest taking a card). If you opt for take a present, then you are not expected to splash out. Something small and sensible and/or religious would be the most anyone would expect. Perhaps a nice book?

Shallishanti Sat 22-Nov-14 18:45:26

I went to one and it lasted for HOURS so be prepared for that!

Annbag Sat 22-Nov-14 18:49:12

Thanks all

I had no idea it lasted for hours so thanks for that. For some reason I thought it was like 15 minutes to 30!

happyhighlander Sat 22-Nov-14 18:58:22

Well christenings are normally part of a standard Sunday church service so will be an hour or so, maybe longer if Catholic. I would dress smart, but not wedding smart. present - a small keepsake would be fine. I wouldn't turn up empty handed to any other celebration I was invited to.

If it is part of the main Sunday service then be prepared for an hour to an hour and a half. The main congregation will be in anything from not too much baby sick to suits. Avoid the wedding or nightclub look as you will look very obvious as a visitor and if the church is cold you will end up going blue which is never good.

If it is a private service then it might be as short as 20-30 minutes depending if you sing hymns or not. The dress code will then be determined by the family hosting.

Annbag Sun 23-Nov-14 12:00:54

Thank you, I think it is a private service and we've not been told about dress code so this advice is great. I've got a newborn so will go for the smart with no baby sick look!

A nice children's book seems a good idea for a gift.

specialsubject Wed 03-Dec-14 17:13:01

if it is in a church in the next three months it WILL be cold in there, that's old buildings for you. Put your vest on! smile

Annbag Wed 03-Dec-14 17:18:20

Thank you, it's already happened now though. I too thought it would be cold but it was baking in there!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now