Talk

Advanced search

i cant stand it anymore - my dog eats shite!

(14 Posts)
VicarInaBooTu Sat 03-Oct-09 17:44:42

he is driving me mad. he has done it since he was a puppy.
i have 2 cavalier king charles spaniels and my boy dog eats his own poop, it freaks me out. how on earth do i stop him? i pick it up asap but sometimes if im at work DH doesnt do it in time....
and when you look up he is there chowing down....its grossing me out!
vet had no explanation. its vile and im going off him even though he is cute 90% of the time.
help!

EccentricaGallumbits Sat 03-Oct-09 17:46:19

mine too. it is narsty. only thing for us is to stand over either dog and pick up immediately. bbbbbblllllllllleeeeeerrrrrrrgggggghhhhhhhhh

wannaBe Sat 03-Oct-09 17:52:20

Have you tried putting pineapple in his food?

ilove Sat 03-Oct-09 17:58:03

Feed them pineapple...they won't go near the poo afterwards!

Friendlypizzaeater Sat 03-Oct-09 18:07:40

Pepper, carry a pot with you and as soon as you see them do it cover in pepper. Will soon stop eating it.

PfftTheMagicDragon Sat 03-Oct-09 18:28:40

What does the pineapple do?

My Springer loves shit, cats, dogs, anything, I have to lock her out of the room when I change DD's nappy. It's vile.

VicarInaBooTu Sat 03-Oct-09 18:53:03

am curious to know what pineapple does aswell...do tell! ill try anything.
he comes in licking his lips, jumps on my knee and tries to kiss me....

not nice. DH thinks he is the devils spawn.

PfftTheMagicDragon Sat 03-Oct-09 21:01:46

It does rather put you off them, doesn't it?

loler Sat 03-Oct-09 21:26:56

My vet told me to try pineapple - apparently it has an enzyme that does something that I forget (vague enough?!). Stopped mine from eating her own but not the other varieties.

Her favourite is fox - but has the eat it or wear it dilemma when finding one!

VicarInaBooTu Sat 03-Oct-09 21:41:15

lol! loler! my little girl cav has worn that before now - had to bath her about 5 times...omg the smell!

my little boy cav is old now but so lovely - except the poo eating thing that is...might try the pineapple - does it upset tummies at all - this is a joke in light of what he eats but he has a sensitive tum!

worley Sat 03-Oct-09 21:48:50

ha ha! my dog does this too, he loves cat poo and horse poo, and if he could get his head in the potty while ds2 is on it he would. its gross and makes me gag when he does it. im hoping it a phase he is going through.

VicarInaBooTu Sat 03-Oct-09 21:54:53

sorry to be the bearer of bad news worley but my dog is now 8 and still does it....

HKT Sun 04-Oct-09 15:51:01

We have a foster dog who does this - I've been told it's an instinct to cover their tracks - a sort of, eat the poo, then no-one knows where I am kinda thing!
We tried the pineapple thing, but it disagreed with him (vet was surprised, they're usually fine with it) so we tried the pepper thing, which worked (unfortunately, we need to pepper all the dog poo, or he eats that, and we get such weird looks from the neighbours - are we really going to eat it? - that it's easier just to pick it up straight away!)

Stayingsunnygirl Sun 04-Oct-09 15:57:22

Our brown lab puppy eats her own poo, if we don't clear it up fast enough, but her favourite is cow poo. The first time she did it, I was sure she'd be sick, but no.

Oh, and yesterday she ate a half pound pack of butter that one of the dcs had left on the kitchen worktop - with no appreciable after effects either.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now