Talk

Advanced search

Syrian Hamsters- would it ever be awake early evening?

(18 Posts)
jenthehen Tue 23-Sep-08 11:09:02

DS 7 would really like one but anything I've read seems to say that they don't wake till about 10pm. Anyone with any experience of this?

bella29 Tue 23-Sep-08 11:12:25

Our hamster gets fed at tea time and he'll usually pop out for this, especially if there's something smelly like cheese on the menu!

fircone Tue 23-Sep-08 11:12:59

Yep. Our poor old hamster rubs his eyes and shuffles over to the bars at about 10.30pm, just as dh and I are heading up the stairs to bed.

He is NEVER awake during the day. He does get out of his nest and makes a quick trip to his "loo" at about 8 o'clock in the morning, but he's not too sociable then.

I reckon a hamster is a good pet for a night-shift worker.

jenthehen Tue 23-Sep-08 11:14:33

Does it make any difference if it is winter time and the nights are dark earlier?

haggisaggis Tue 23-Sep-08 11:16:13

Get pet rats instead! THey're cute - awake when you are - cuddly.
Try and get girls though (and you must get at least 2)
Boys are really smelly!

bella29 Tue 23-Sep-08 11:17:44

I don't think so, not with ours anyway. I quite often catch him running around in broad daylight, but maybe he's an insomniac grin

jenthehen Tue 23-Sep-08 11:28:04

I read that boy rats were more friendly than female ones, so I went to look at some yesterday and was put off by their HUGE teeth and HUGE testicals!
I don't think rats are for me.

bella29 Tue 23-Sep-08 11:31:17

My hammy's got huge testicles too grin

geekgirl Tue 23-Sep-08 11:37:51

ours is awake early evening and also in the morning.

Iklboo Tue 23-Sep-08 11:41:42

Get him a pair of male rats. V sociable, very handle-able after a short space of time and usually out and about much of the day/early evening.
Our ratties favourite platime was about 7pm

Iklboo Tue 23-Sep-08 11:44:42

Rats' teeth are sort of about the same size as a hammie's (watch hamster yawn - you'll wonder where they put their teeth). Plus they're less inclined to bite than a hamster. I've only ever ben bitten once by a rat and that was becuase she was pregnant and we didn't know and must have been hormonal

jenthehen Tue 23-Sep-08 18:36:48

oops sp testicles!!
I've also read that rats dribble urine, is this true??

jenthehen Tue 23-Sep-08 18:40:53

Where do you keep your rats' cage? ie in which room and how reluctant are people to look after rats when you go on holiday. Rat ownership seems on a whole different scale to hamster ownership.

WeeBesom Tue 23-Sep-08 18:43:11

So has my hammy bella, he used to have a wee house which he slept in and they were always hanging out the window (I kid you not!) [boak]

Polgara2 Tue 23-Sep-08 18:58:33

Our hamster is awake early evening (or whenever she is grabbed!) and for parts of the day - it varies. Probably depends on how much exercise she has been subjected to grin. She has been a great and much loved pet so far.

Icanseethesea Tue 23-Sep-08 18:58:45

Our syrian hamster is usually awake early evening. Ds 7 loves him to bits! He has pots of character too - lovely pet!

bella29 Tue 23-Sep-08 22:15:05

They are cute aren't they - even when their testicles are completely out of proportion to the rest of their body, weebesom!

jenthehen Tue 23-Sep-08 22:26:43

This is more encouraging. I'll have a look at some hamsters.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now