Talk

Advanced search

Ok, we know KS3 kids still need to be taught that alot & aswell are not single words...

(6 Posts)
Ponders Sun 13-Feb-11 13:56:32

...but apparently they also need to be taught that "essay" is a word, & not the abbreviation SA (what they think SA stands for goodness knows!)

shock

(my informant is a secondary school English teacher - we got into this via a discussion about whether anymore is a single word or not. Of course it is in some contexts, but some spellchecks don't like it, & she's wondering now whether it's safer to try to steer them away from the single word altogether)

(or doesn't it really matter...? confused)

CaptainKirksNipples Sun 13-Feb-11 14:01:16

My English teacher told me this when I was at school 15 years ago so it's not a new thing.

But tbh there are loads of stupid shortened versions of words going around that it wouldn't surprise me if kids thought it meant something else but didn't want to ask.

TheMonster Sun 13-Feb-11 14:03:25

I'm an English teacher. 'Alot' really annoys me, but I have never seen a pupil use SA for essay.

Elk Sun 13-Feb-11 14:44:30

I remember a girl in my class using SA instead of essay. We decided it stood for story about....

MardyBra Tue 15-Feb-11 11:57:55

Maybe I was the girl in your class Elk, as I got it confused once. I was about 8 and haven't misused it since though.

GeoPuzzles Sat 09-Jul-11 22:37:56

the language is evolving, and so alot may become part of the language, depends on whether it is regarded as common usage!
albeit, altogether etc... have evolved otherwise we would still be speaking in ye olde.....
PS where is the complete English language defined?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now