Talk

Advanced search

40th birthday - new and interesting ideas please!

(10 Posts)
Cluckyagain Tue 13-Oct-09 16:05:59

Hi - I'm 40 in a few months and am getting serious pressure from friends and hubby to 'make up my mind and decided what I want to do for it'. Really I'd like to get a curry and watch a film but I suspect they may go mad!! Not a vast budget - £200ish but would like to do something with 2 other couples, pref active or silly - def. NOT spa day or such! Any suggestions? cxx

mrsjammi Tue 13-Oct-09 16:08:34

Message withdrawn

choosyfloosy Tue 13-Oct-09 16:10:16

Point one - this is YOUR birthday so do what the hell YOU like.

Point two - take the core of your idea and build on it. How about - Saturday: 1-day Indian Cookery Course for the six of you, maybe in a city within reach, ending with you all eating the curry. Saturday night: all dress up and go on serious film outing - somewhere nice - I'm thinking Harbour Lights in Southampton, the Ritzy in Brixton, the Empire Leicester Square - somewhere a bit special with a film you really love.

Job done.

Cluckyagain Tue 13-Oct-09 16:11:06

OOH - nice idea but can't really afford that. I should have said that really I'd like to pay for a treat for all (for £200) so holiday breaks are out of the question I think. (and don't think I can swing the child care either!)

Cluckyagain Tue 13-Oct-09 16:12:11

Hmm - like it - lessons in something...adds to list of possibilities.

titchy Tue 13-Oct-09 16:27:35

Day at the races? Maybe a meal after if you win anything!
Day having a skiing lesson/doing rock climbing/any sort of activity you'd arrange for a kid's birthday? Pub after. Actually pub before.....!

titchy Tue 13-Oct-09 16:28:35

Hire a barge or boat for the afternoon?
Sightseeing tour of somewhere?

choosyfloosy Tue 13-Oct-09 16:30:53

well, you could do a half day course for you and dh/best friend, with the others arriving to eat the results? In this climate, offer what you can afford, and see.

Alternatively, dance class/session followed by curry and film?

liliputlady Tue 13-Oct-09 16:52:53

Dog-racing followed by curry?
Murder mystery night.
Tribute band and meal - a few hotels and pubs near us do these now.

Cluckyagain Tue 13-Oct-09 17:01:43

Lots of fab ideas - thanks all. I need to talk again to dh, although I know he's just going to groan at my indecision!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now