Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Do I need to give a birthday present??

(7 Posts)
hazlinh Fri 11-Sep-09 05:09:16

Ok don't know if this will sound petty, so apols in advance if it is...but I just want to know what is the proper or correct etiquette...

Dd (5)'s school allows birthday parties (on a small scale) at school on Thursdays. Basically you send out invites to all the children letting them know of the date and so they can bring a pressie. The teachers organise simple games like musical chairs and Pass the parcel and then everyone gets cake afterwards. The birthday child's parents also normally give out a party pack or one toy/book.

I had one for DD in August, and I made a list of all the presents we received to send out thank you notes. A few children however, had not given presents, but were in school that day. I thought maybe their parents had had no time to buy the presents, and one child did give DD a present the following week, but some did not.

My dilemma: One of the kids who didn't give DD anything, had a party yesterday. I didn't buy anything, partly because I have been too busy at work and haven't had time, and I wasn't sure if I should bother. Or should I?

TIA, and sorry if this is a stupid question.

ben5 Fri 11-Sep-09 05:55:41

i would only give a present if my child is friends with the birthday child. it gets very expensive if you have to send in a present for every child.

seeker Fri 11-Sep-09 07:02:30

I would always giver a present if my child was at the party, but it would be something little. I have a stash of presents bought in sales and from pound shops and things (all really nice, I might add - just not expensive!) so that I've always got something to wrap up if I need a present at short notice.

dilemma456 Sat 12-Sep-09 22:18:20

Message withdrawn

hazlinh Tue 15-Sep-09 06:37:18

ok thanks all, for your feedback

plimple Tue 15-Sep-09 06:58:28

I'd ask DC if they wanted to give a present and then give from my cheapo stash. Your DC may not even like the party child. You can't like everyone in a class of 20/30.

hazlinh Wed 16-Sep-09 01:56:49

that's a good point and very true plimple

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now