Talk

Advanced search

Climbing out of cot..any tips

(11 Posts)
meshellby Sat 11-Jul-09 07:52:53

DD has climbed out her cot this morning for first time, she is only 13 months old! Did anyone else put their LO in a bed at this age? Her cot converts into a cot bed but didn't think I would need it for a good while yet! She was in her gro-bag, I have no idea how she managed it! Any ideas how I can stop her doing this again (no chance have I?!) or make life safer for her?
Thanks!

belgo Sat 11-Jul-09 08:00:04

13 months is early, is she tall? My dd1 was 19 months when she started climbing out of the cot, and we moved her onto a mattress on the floor, with a stair gate at the door.

meshellby Sat 11-Jul-09 08:16:46

She's not especially tall, loves a bit of climbing though! To be honest when I went into her room and she was sat on the floor with her toys I questioned whether I had actually put her into bed!!! I'm sure I did! I've just put a big mattress under her cot, so that will at least soften any falls!

BintOfBohemia Sat 11-Jul-09 08:22:52

DS did this early on too. A grobag slowed him down a bit, but we had to put him in a bed just before he turned two. Was gutted.

meshellby Sat 11-Jul-09 09:22:20

Silly isn't it to get sad about it?! I'll see how she gets on with a mattress under the cot, fingers crossed no more escaping for a while!

lisad123 Sat 11-Jul-09 09:28:37

dd1 did this about this age too. I put her in a bed, she was fine and a lot easier than dd2, who at 22months has just gone inot a bed, and is a terror!

purepurple Sat 11-Jul-09 09:33:20

DD did this at about this age too.
Every night I would hear a thump as she climbed out of her cot.
She perfected the art of climbing into a built in cupboard in her very small room.
The final straw was when DH went to the shop and came running back in shouting "She's standing on the bloody window sill!" shock
Her room was tiny and we could not position her cot so she couldn't climb on to something.
So we bought her a bed. It was a mini bed with a guard rail attatched.

fanjolina Sat 11-Jul-09 09:46:57

My sis used to do this, so my parents tied her legs together at night.
Still didn't stop her grin

meshellby Sat 11-Jul-09 10:35:27

OMG! Those last two are hilarious!! Window sill terrifying at the time, but you live to laugh don't you?!

NanaJo Sat 11-Jul-09 15:52:39

Wow. She's going to be a little gymnast! I thought my Ds2 was young to do this at 18 months. We couldn't prevent him from climbing out and decided in his case it would be safer to just put him into a toddler bed with a rail. He still climbed out of it but was much closer to the ground. He is now 3.3 and still climbing. The other day I found him on top of the piano! grin

BoysAreLikeDogs Sat 11-Jul-09 15:55:58

yes both of mine went into a big bed at just over one

put the cot matress on the floor so that if she falls out a few times (and she will!) there is a soft landing

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now