Talk

Advanced search

at what age can you give calpol?

(15 Posts)
hollygiz1 Mon 28-Jul-08 08:29:22

my baby is 5 week old on friday and she is crying alot, not sure whats up with her as had her checked out and there not sure so sent us home, just wondered if calpol would settle her

MrsJamin Mon 28-Jul-08 08:30:33

The advice is clear on the box, calpol for infants is from 2 months, I wouldn't give it before that.

hollygiz1 Mon 28-Jul-08 08:35:57

its just when we went to the hospital they kept saying has she had calpol?like she could

AllBuggiedOut Mon 28-Jul-08 08:39:20

MrsJamin is absolutely right. It clearly says do not give to babies under 2 months old. Consult your doctor.

savoycabbage Mon 28-Jul-08 08:39:35

If you do give it to her give her the kind with sugar in as the sugar free stuff is not at all good for babies.

sheepgomeep Mon 28-Jul-08 08:39:44

this has always puzzled me.. what do they give babies for pain relief in the hospital then if they are under 2 months old?

sheepgomeep Mon 28-Jul-08 08:40:48

yes no to the sugar free stuff, always gave ds raging diorhaa (sp)

hollygiz1 Mon 28-Jul-08 08:40:57

they gave her paracetamol

davidtennantsmistress Mon 28-Jul-08 08:42:04

no it's 2 months iirc. otherwise see your dr.

AllBuggiedOut Mon 28-Jul-08 08:42:54

Yes, but they are experts. You are not. It's a no brainer. Talk to your doctor.

itati Mon 28-Jul-08 08:45:18

3 months

sooner only with GP permission.

5 week olds are often unsettled. They have just come into a scarey world. You can't give a baby that young Calpol without a valid reason imho.

hollygiz1 Mon 28-Jul-08 08:47:20

ok thanks just wondered wasnt going to unless was safe

SoupKitchen Mon 28-Jul-08 08:54:20

My dd was given paracetamol (calpol) within an hour of her birth, by the paeds at the hospital.
The reason the packaging states over 2 months is because under this age dosing is difficult and they have to ensure the exact right dose for weight is given to prevent paracetamol OD as liver damage can occur if too large a dose is given.

For this reason it should never be given without specific dr instructions to a young baby

Babies are often difficult to settle at this stage, do you have much support?

LIZS Mon 28-Jul-08 08:57:50

With a prescription it can be given earlier but any pain in a newborn should be investigated professionally before doing so. If she is generally unsettled she may have a touch of reflux(try propping her up afetr feeds and raise the mattress at night) or benefit from cranial osteopathy or baby massage.

stitch Mon 28-Jul-08 08:58:48

two months. except under medical supervision

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now