Talk

Advanced search

How do you define a yummy mummy?

(24 Posts)
emilytankengine Tue 02-Oct-07 21:38:52

What would you guys describe a "yummy mummy" as? Cos the phrase just winds me up!

WestCountryLass Tue 02-Oct-07 22:11:25

My definition of a yummy mummy is anyone who has made an effort with their appearance (most seem to use hair straighteners!), wearing trendy/stylish clothes that flatter them and generally look well groomed.

pneumalifenewname Tue 02-Oct-07 22:12:25

you bake traybakes

UnquietDad Tue 02-Oct-07 22:14:21

Smug, 30s/40s mother who looks as if she has a lot of spare time to spend on "grooming" - nails, hair done, clothes expensive - looks like she goes to the gym a lot and is concerned about what people "think" of her. Shires-living and Conservative-voting. Did I mention smug? Doesn't work. Drives 4x4. Lives off hubby's hedge-fund. Children are called things like Inigo, Ivo and Tabitha, and do violin and ballet.

Tortington Tue 02-Oct-07 22:15:06

pmsl UD

sykes Tue 02-Oct-07 22:22:14

I work full time, live in the shires and my dds are called normal names.I drive a clapped out old BMW, my children ( I hear the hissing now) go to private schools and I dye my hair - it's v grey. I vote labour. My daughters do ballet and riding and the elder one does violin after a year of begging. What am I? I two-faced twat? Or am I fortunate enough to have choices which I've worked bloody hard for?

Rachmumoftwo Tue 02-Oct-07 22:29:19

A yummy mummy is anyone who has managed to put on a clean top (minus puke stains)and brushed their hair and put on a bit of lippy before leaving the house!

moljam Tue 02-Oct-07 22:31:56

Rachmumoftwosmile lol!

Nightynight Tue 02-Oct-07 22:38:01

a SAHM who has got a cleaner/nanny/gardener/any of the above, and money to buy nice clothes, goes to the gym etc.

EmsMum Tue 02-Oct-07 22:41:05

Anyone who looks like they have BOTH more time and money than me. And spend quite a bit of both on their appearance.

PanfriedpumpkinattheMNcafe Tue 02-Oct-07 22:48:42

oh..some mummys are just yummy effortlessly.

<< but the phrase does make me want to vomit>>

MeMySonAndI Tue 02-Oct-07 22:51:43

NO Sykes, you are not a twat... you are a yummy mummy! smile

sykes Tue 02-Oct-07 22:53:49

I don't think so.

kindersurprise Tue 02-Oct-07 23:12:16

This is the definition I use for my course, "English for Yummy Mummys":

"A mother who is interested in looking after herself as well as her family while taking pride in her appearance"

I use it more as a joke with friends, it would make me ROFL if anyone seriously described themselves as a yummy mummy.

Saying that, since I have a cleaner, go to the gym and sometimes use straightners, I am afraid I might be put on the Yummy Mummy At Risk Register.

UnquietDad Wed 03-Oct-07 09:20:35

sykes - that just means you're not a YM then. Unless you want to be??

vacua Wed 03-Oct-07 09:22:32

A MILF surely?

UnquietDad Wed 03-Oct-07 09:24:03

No, there is overlap but I can think of plenty of MILFs of my acquaintance who aren't YMs. Think Venn Diagram.

claricebeansmum Wed 03-Oct-07 09:26:08

MILF?

vacua Wed 03-Oct-07 09:27:25

yes I should have said YILF instead of MILF as frankly have met very few I'd even consider

ImBarryScott Wed 03-Oct-07 09:29:50

definitely a SAHM, but one who also has a nanny so that she can stick to her rigid routine of gym-hairdresser-manicurist. She quite possibly is a second wife, so considers it her full-time job to look good for hubby, lest the fate of First Wife befall her.

vacua Wed 03-Oct-07 09:32:03

Is it obligatory for them to drive an M Class or Cayenne or could someone scrape through in a RAV4? NOT Self you understand, just mentally sorting the playground mums.

claricebeansmum Wed 03-Oct-07 09:32:16

YILF??????

vacua Wed 03-Oct-07 09:35:01

Sorry I meant MYLF hmm

paddyclamp Wed 03-Oct-07 20:22:12

I hate the phrase personally. It always makes me think of these celebrities who get their figures back about 2 weeks after having a baby. Agree with unquietdad they tend to be smug!

I straighten my hair and wear make up. But i always thought they had to wear designer clothes.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now