Talk

Advanced search

How much does your 12-18 month old drink per day?

(8 Posts)
UserThenLotsOfNumbers Mon 04-Dec-17 14:58:50

We are struggling to get DD 14 months to drink from cups (open and/or sippy cups), and so she still has 4 bottles of milk a day. Im worried her fluid intake isn't enough, as shes been suffering from constipation lately. She was prem, 5 weeks, and has been a bit behind with weaning, but overall loves food.

I wonder how her liquid intake (water and milk) compares to children of a similar age?

200ml formula milk first thing
120ml whole milk mid morning
Same mid afternoon
200ml formula before bed

I heard 1 litre is the recommended amount - oops.
If we're lucky, she'll drink a few sips of water with her meals. It depends how she feels really, sometimes she'll drink quite a bit, other times she'll totally refuse water. I've taken to watering down her milk a bit to up her water intake. Also giving her formula still as just giving her cows milk makes the constipation worse.

Food wise, she has a large bowl of porridge plus multivitamin for breakfast, two course meals for lunch and dinner, and snacks depending on her nap times.

Feeling a bit of a rubbish parent that's she's not drinking from cups yet tbh.

Any advice or suggestions welcome thanks!

UserThenLotsOfNumbers Mon 04-Dec-17 14:59:51

*1 litre of fluid per day, milk and water, I should have said.

Doubletrouble42 Mon 04-Dec-17 15:04:42

Doesn't sound far from what my 12 mo twins have. It hadn't occurred to me to worry... I thought as long as they had at least 20oz milk and regularly offered water it was fine x

UserThenLotsOfNumbers Mon 04-Dec-17 15:36:47

Thanks smile
I found out today that babies should be giving up the bottle for cups at a year, so just feel behind. I let her have the bottles as if not, she wouldn't drink nearly enough.

DesignedForLife Mon 04-Dec-17 15:53:24

Sounds similar to my 15 month old. Two breastfeeds a day then probably about 200ml water through the day.

mindutopia Mon 04-Dec-17 17:37:37

At 12 months, mine was still having 2 bottles of milk a day (about 250 ml of milk). She started to talk it from a straw cup only around 13 months, though the 2nd one at bedtime was still in a bottle until 15 months. So about 500 ml of milk either in cup/bottle and a few sips of water until 14 months. At 14 months, she dropped the morning milk, so just 250 ml of milk at bedtime and a few sips of water. So between 250-500ml of milk and only tiny bits of water.

mindutopia Mon 04-Dec-17 17:39:32

1 L sounds like an awful lot of fluid! The recommendation for toddlers is about 500ml of milk to age 5 or the equivalent in other dairy products and I doubt most children drink a further 500ml of water a day. Mine might drink about 250ml at a stretch!

UserThenLotsOfNumbers Wed 06-Dec-17 06:13:06

Thanks for your replies, feeling reassured now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now