Talk

Advanced search

6 week old breastfeeding issue -Help pls

(5 Posts)
keylovesAva Wed 19-Oct-16 08:36:09

hello
my DD is 6 weeks old and very well and happy. She is breastfed and today I noticed a dark small spot like mark on her lip on the is used upper corner. We are very attentive to her and my DH and I would have noticed if she was born with it. I am pretty sure it is breastfeeding related and due to friction and her lips rubbing and getting use to feeding. There is no pain or irritation as i touched it with clean finger and she didn't fuss or cry..and she is feeding normally. She cluster feeds all through the daytime and has done pretty much from week 2. She is dark skinned so I am thinking that's perhaps why it's a darkish colour? Maybe a blood blister?

Just wanted to see if anyone has had any experience or knowledge of this before I go to the GP.

Thanks!

Mij Wed 19-Oct-16 08:47:16

Hi

If you've only just noticed it and it's not bothering her, if it was me I'd watch and wait. It sounds like you're paying attention to latch and you'd notice if she was feeding (or taking in) any less milk (fewer wet/dirty nappies etc) so chances are she's fine. I haven't heard of bfing creating sufficient friction to produce a mark (not on the baby anyway - on mums definitely confused) but it could have been a one off and will fade. If you have a bfing drop in nearby or a health visitor clinic maybe that could be your first port of call if it doesn't fade or you notice further changes?

StrawberryQuik Wed 19-Oct-16 10:21:38

Maybe point it out to your HV next time you see her for reassurance?

FWIW my DS, also breastfed, seemed to have almost always chapped top lip with sort of little dents in it after feeding. He didn't seem bothered so I didn't worry.

He's 6 months now but it only disappeared in the last month or so.

MrsPatrickDempsey Wed 19-Oct-16 10:23:33

If she is feeding normally and it didn't cause her pain on touch I wouldn't waste the GP's time tbh.

FoxMulder Wed 19-Oct-16 10:32:26

DS got a little blister on his top lip in the early days. Just a friction thing.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now