Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

How to help screaming dd?

(10 Posts)
Chintaria Sun 26-Jul-15 15:41:52

Dd is just 18 months, and over the last couple of weeks has started having crying fits/tantrums. There is absolutely no reason for them, and nothing I do helps her to calm down.
She cries/screams/kicks for about ten minutes, pretty much until she's exhausted herself, and only after she's got to the end of it does any cuddling work. I am loathe to put it down to just being a tantrum - it's not like me saying no is setting her off, it can be literally anything. This afternoon she woke from her nap crying and carried on from there.
I can't see that there's anything hurting her, and I can't think what else it can be. She had lunch shortly before her nap today, so she can't have been hungry.
Has anyone got any advice? It's awful to see her so upset and not be able to do anything about it sad Maybe it is just tantrums, in which case I still haven't got a clue how to handle it really, as ds never had them.

Daffolil Sun 26-Jul-15 15:54:42

Teething? Wonder weeks type leap? My dd is hungry at seemingly random moments. Hope it passes soon for you both .

PeppaWellington Sun 26-Jul-15 15:57:12

Tantrums can be set off by the carpet being the wrong colour, or you saying hello, or there being oxygen in the room. Your job is to telepathically understand the problem and right it immediately, whether or not that is within your powers or even the laws of physics.

My advice is ignore her where it's safe to do so, invest in some ear plugs and try not to let it drive you to drink!

Chintaria Sun 26-Jul-15 20:42:00

Thanks both of you smile I did some googling and it does sound like tantrums, but it's just so unlike her - she's normally so happy & easy-going, it's like she's been possessed!
Think I have to resign myself to more of them don't I...

Georgethesecond Sun 26-Jul-15 20:44:39

Nothing you do or say will make any difference and usually talking to them makes them worse. You have to ignore. Nicely, not crossly. But there's nothing to be done until she has got it out of her system. And then don't ask why - usually they don't even know. Their feelings just kind of overtake them.

EatDessertFirst Mon 27-Jul-15 22:59:22

Sounds like typical tantrums to me!
Waking from a nap crying resonates with me. My DS was awful on waking from naps. I used to put a drink and a biscuit in his eyeline when he stirred and retreat. He'd come and find me when he was ready, usually after a good cry and thrash about. Having the nerve to be in the room when he awoke was enough to set him off.
Ignore until it passes. Then carry on.

Ekkwhine Mon 27-Jul-15 23:09:57

Gross as it sounds my DS was like this, totally out of the blue, I was putting him a nappy on as he'd removed his mid tantrum and fallen asleep and he had threadworms round his bum.

Probably my grossest parenting moment to date hmm

Chintaria Tue 28-Jul-15 10:11:33

Ooh Ekk, you must have had a shock! Do you know how he got them?
No tantrums yesterday, but we're flying to the UK tomorrow so am expecting at least one on the plane. We flew last week too & it was horrendous - dd was kicking & screaming at take off & I couldn't do anything about it. Had to apologise to the poor lady in front of us as dd was arching her back and kicking/pushing against the back of her seat. There's so little room on Ryanair flights that it was virtually impossible to prevent it!

Ekkwhine Tue 28-Jul-15 10:29:15

It was three weeks after starting nursery so I imagine there's a link there. I'd not encountered them before and was so freaked out!

There was no noticeable itchiness or anything, just these totally out of character tantrums. Two doses of medicine from the doctor from the doctor sorted them out, I think it was ten days apart, he was back to normal within a couple of days of the first. I think they're quite noticeable at night from what I've read, a quick check whilst they're sleeping shows them up.

Chintaria Tue 28-Jul-15 21:16:14

Oh gosh, poor you! I'll be having nightmares about worms now grin Hope you mentioned it to the nursery - I wonder what they gave him?!
Managed to stave off the dreaded tantrum today too - am trying to keep on top of when she might be hungry/tired and it seems to be working. She's been delightful today! Am so dreading tomorrow though, flight is at 10am (i haven't packed...) and I'll have to get the kids up latest 6.45am which means she'll be ready for her nap by the time we board. There's no way she'll sleep in my arms so we're stuffed basically grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now