Talk

Advanced search

new driver

(5 Posts)
addictedtotoast Tue 07-May-13 21:15:04

I passed my driving test last week. I am wondering how long I should wait untill I drive with my 2yo DD.

rrreow Wed 08-May-13 12:16:03

The more you drive, the more confident you will become. In the eyes of the DVLA you are a safe & responsible driver (you wouldn't have passed otherwise!) so I don't see why you should wait. If you don't feel confident enough right now to drive with your DD, then wait until you do, but that is a personal decision rather than one that someone else can put a timeframe on.

SpottyTeacakes Wed 08-May-13 12:17:18

I would do it straight away, but I'm a confident driver. If you're not confident then wait until you are smile

vess Wed 08-May-13 13:18:45

I did straight away because I had to. DD1 was nearly 1 then, and I had to drive her older brother to school. I did feel insecure at first, but was super-careful, and it was fine. I tried to plan and visualise the route in my head first before getting in the car, and that helped a lot.

Got into the habit of giving DD1 a snack in the car, so she doesn't distract me. A year later, as soon as she sat in her car seat, she'd announce "I'm hungry!" grin

snickers251 Wed 08-May-13 13:22:13

I passed in jan at 34wks pregnant, I was very nervous to begin with as thought my ds would play up and distract me and the fact that my hormones were all over the place!

I did some driving alone in the evenings until I felt confident enough on my own by the time dd arrived I was happy to have both noisy ds and newborn in the back.

If they kick off I have a goody bag I can just throw in the back but usually the just both fall asleep grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now