Talk

Advanced search

What's the current vitamin advice for toddlers?

(10 Posts)
WhoahThereCrazyHorse Tue 25-Sep-12 09:22:17

I haven't given dd any supplements over the summer but am wondering if I should now start - particularly bit D? I can ask the HV but I'm not always completely confident in what she says! Does anyone know where I can find the most up to date advice? (DD is 20 mo)

Thanks!

WhoahThereCrazyHorse Tue 25-Sep-12 09:22:43

vit not bit

Rubirosa Tue 25-Sep-12 09:24:29

All children aged 6 months-5years are recommended to take a multivitamin, unless they have 500ml formula a day.

vodkaanddietirnbru Tue 25-Sep-12 12:41:14

A supplement of Vitamins A, C and D is recommended between 6 months and 5 years.

www.nhs.uk/conditions/pregnancy-and-baby/pages/vitamins-for-children.aspx#close

HaveToWearHeels Tue 25-Sep-12 12:44:06

vitamins to the age of 5 was the advise 6 months ago.

matana Tue 25-Sep-12 12:58:17

"All children aged 6 months-5years are recommended to take a multivitamin".

Really?? I am clearly a massive example of parenting failure - i do not give my 22 mo DS multivitamins, nor did i know this advice existed. On the flip side, he does eat an exceptionally well balanced and nutricious diet, so maybe i'm right in thinking he doesn't need them? He even eats Taramasalata, which i think is the only food that contains vitamin D.

theredhen Tue 25-Sep-12 13:37:20

Matana, hasn't margarine got vitamin d in it? Also I think eggs and other fish contain it.

matana Tue 25-Sep-12 13:55:39

Yes you're right theredhen - i have been led up the garden path! A few types of fish, shiitake and mutton mushrooms, and eggs all contain 'natural' Vit D (i.e. they don't have to be 'fortified' with it). Few foods contain it naturally, though many are fortified with it. So by my reckoning my DS is actually suffering from vitamin overload!

matana Tue 25-Sep-12 13:56:58

oops, 'button mushrooms' of course... mutton ones might be a bit chewy.

Wigeon Tue 25-Sep-12 14:04:30

From what I've read / heard from two different health professionals, vitamin D is the only really important one, as it's very hard to get enough in northern climates (even in the summer), as even a very good diet won't give you enough and we don't have enough UVB radiation to get it from sunshine. (Although I note that official advice is to give a multivitamin to the under 5s, not just vit D).

So we have recently started giving the DDs (16 months and 4 yrs) a multivitamin, despite them both eating a very good, balanced diet. We did try to find a product that was just vitamin D, but it always seems to be sold in a multivitamin format. So we are going with that.

More info here and here.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now