Talk

Advanced search

Why doesnt my ds listen to me?

(2 Posts)
bliss88 Fri 15-Jul-11 16:23:22

hello.

I have started to feel quite stressed recently as when i am trying to discipline my ds he just laughs at me and walks away. and when i say right time out he goes there free of will and no struggle which i guess is a good thing but he starts to laugh and walk away from that the minute i make him sit down!

im very very tired as he is nearly two i dont know if anyone else gets this! is it normal for him to not listen to me. it makes myself and dh fall out as i give up telling him off and getting cross as i never acheive anything. he will listen to dh and mil and my mum but not me and i get this feeling that i am a crap mother.

Any suggestions as what i can do? any discipline tips or ways to make him a calmer child?

Thankyou

Iggly Fri 15-Jul-11 18:44:01

DS is nearly 22 months and I don't really discipline as such because he doesn't get it. Instead I try and anticipate those situations where he will kick off (usually when hungry or tired). Or if I have to take something away from him, I try and encourage him to put it away or tell him a few minutes beforehand that "we're finished" or "all done". Sometimes I have to be ready with a distraction (usually food!)

If he does kick off, I will not tell him off as he's too upset. So I just have to take him away from the situation. I will use "No" if I really need him to stop something.

Also I show him how to do things and praise when he does - he loves getting things right.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now