Talk

Advanced search

How difficult/dangerous is it to take 2 non-swimmers to the pool by yourself?

(11 Posts)
PasstheTwiglets Thu 30-Jun-11 16:19:46

One is 3, one is 8, neither can swim. But if they both have armbands on and both can touch the bottom, could I safely take them both by myself?

belgo Thu 30-Jun-11 16:24:58

As long as they are in the shallow end and have arm bands on, and you keep an eye on them they'll be fine. I've been swimming on my own with three under five and it takes organisation but we've been fine.

ShatnersBassoon Thu 30-Jun-11 16:26:55

It's not difficult at all. It's easier to keep an eye on non-swimmers because they can't move quickly through the water.

PasstheTwiglets Thu 30-Jun-11 16:28:01

Thanks, belgo! At least they are both quite nervous, so it's not like they will rushing off without me and dive-bombing into the deep end or anything smile

PasstheTwiglets Thu 30-Jun-11 16:28:36

Good point, Shatner (love your name, btw smile ) Thanks to you too.

LilyBolero Thu 30-Jun-11 16:29:22

Oh it'll be fine. We take multiple children (swimming and non-swimming), none drowned yet!

mtw Thu 30-Jun-11 23:58:39

you will be ok, i have been with a 2 & 4 yr old, plus an 8 yr old ( but he is a swimmer ) - but still got to keep an eye on him. have them both in little pool lifejackets/armbands and stay right next to them. i was a bit overwhelmed at first, but like everything you get the hang of it and it'll be good fun for them.
the fact that they can both touch the floor is a HUGE advantage - you will be fine - go for it!!

Meglet Fri 01-Jul-11 00:06:25

I've managed it with my 4 + 2yo's (and I am hopeless with them most of the time as they are so spirited). DS has lessons so he's used to the pool. DD ends up plonking herself on a giant float and I pull her round hmm.

We only go early in the mornings when its dead quiet though. We're usually the only people in there. Once it gets busy we get out.

mrsfollowill Fri 01-Jul-11 00:08:27

I would check the rules at the pool- some have a policy of 1 to 1 with under 8 yo - whether or not they can swim even if you are in the shallow end- ridiculous I know. My friend could not take her twins swimming alone because of this even once they were competent swimmers.

If there are no such rules where you are then go for it and have a great time!

PasstheTwiglets Fri 01-Jul-11 07:03:05

Good point, I'll check the pool rules, thanks again everyone.

flaurenoko Sun 03-Jul-11 09:30:30

Definitely check the pool rules - I have been to two pools in the last couple of weeks and both had notices up saying that there had to be an adult swimmer to accompany each non swimmer / child under 8 years...

Funnily enough, one of the pools was one I used to go to as a child.. A gang of 7-11 year olds would go together.. A lot of us were certainly not strong swimmers.. But there were no rules back then!! And it was only 25p to get in!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now