Talk

Advanced search

What's for lunch today? Take inspiration from Mumsnetters' tried-and-tested recipes in our Top Bananas! cookbook - now under £10

Find out more

Anyone else want to avoid games consoles/computer games etc. as long as possible.

(36 Posts)
aviatrix Sun 16-Jan-11 16:26:06

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Francagoestohollywood Sun 16-Jan-11 16:41:21

We tried, we are trying, but it gets more and more difficult.
We have a son who is 8 and a half and a daughter who is 6 and a half.
Ds has had access to our computer for about 1 year, he is allowed 30 minutes a day (but he constantly tries to stay on more).
He has also been allowed to play with the Playstation that lives at the inlaws, whom we visit every other weekend.

Dd is not interested at all. Ds and another boy in his class are the only ones in the class who don't own a wii or a nintendo ds or whatever.

SoMuchToBits Sun 16-Jan-11 16:45:51

We are lucky in that ds (aged 10) is still addicted to very interested in Playmobil, and would rather play with that, and Lego. He does watch the television and occasionally goes on the computer.

He has tried out the Wii and ds etc at friends' houses. He quite likes playing on the Wii, but not enough to want one himself. He has no interest in a ds/playstation etc. He is probably the only person in his class not to have a games console, but he is very much his own person, so doesn't really seem to be affected by peer pressure. But I guess we are really lucky, as we haven't had pressure put on us to buy these things.

SoMuchToBits Sun 16-Jan-11 16:46:51

I also think that his lack of games consoles has contributed to his creativity - he is always buzzing with ideas, very rarely bored etc.

PavlovtheCat Sun 16-Jan-11 16:47:10

Well we let DD aged 4 go on to cbeebies website, or milkshake website and play games. Not every day, and not for more than 30 mins. But she loves it, it is more interactive than the tv and she learns a lot form it. She has been interested in computers from the year dot and uses them at school so it makes perfect sense to develop this skill at home with guidance.

However, she is, in our opinion too young for individual games consoles such as dslite etc, and she does not use the x-box, other than for a bit of guitar hero for fun with us, very occasionally.

There is plenty of time for her to have access to games consoles and computers, and before long she will be begging us for one, and then we will hold out til it is not possible to resist. She would no doubt enjoy a ds lite and be good at it, but there is going to be a lot of time when she is self absorbed in a gadget or something or other, while she wishes to interact with us, I will actively encourage it grin

But i know friends who have bought their 4yos DS lites for christmas.

GypsyMoth Sun 16-Jan-11 16:49:14

Er, what's wrong with them?

It's the parents who should be making sure the games are age suitable and setting time limits on them! Don't you feel you would be able to do that?

What's unhealthy about them?

KalokiMallow Sun 16-Jan-11 16:51:01

No, think they can be really good for kids. Obviously depending on the games played.

Francagoestohollywood Sun 16-Jan-11 16:53:28

SMTB, who'd want to play with the wii when they can play with Norman? (dd has had the swimming pool for christmas and she was over the moon)

doricpatter Sun 16-Jan-11 16:58:35

We recently bought a Wii, and chose it specifically because it's easy for our DS age 3.5 to join in. He's also allowed to potter on the PC from time to time while on our knee. As with anything involving a screen, he has to be limited because he'd goggle all day and if he's allowed too much his behaviour suffers. But at least games are something interactive and for now he only plays with us. Much better than telly IMO, and like it or not they're a part of life these days.

Carrotsandcelery Sun 16-Jan-11 17:04:08

I resisted these things for a long time but eventually allowed them.
We have these things in the house now but limit their use massively.
We tend to play on the Wii fairly irregularly and nearly always as a pair so it is less isolating than other consoles can be.
Both dcs have ds consoles. DD (9)can take hers of leave hers to be honest. Ds (6) would be more interested but we gently restrict use for when he has to wait while dd is at an after school activity or long car journeys etc.
Many of their friends were given Ipod touches for Christmas shock and DD's close friend came round with hers last week.
I was a little concerned as they sat on the sofa and played with it for about half an hour. I consoled myself with the fact that all 3 of them were playing with it together.
I was pleasantly surprised when they quickly got bored and spent ages playing sylvanian families and then ages more "reading" the Guiness Book Of Records. grin
I think there is a place for moderation in our family. The dcs had shown an interest and I didn't want it to get to the stage that they obsessed with playing on consoles at friends' houses as I have seen others do. This way, they may have a game at a friends' house but, as it is not a massive novelty, they would rather go and do other stuff with them as well.
Having them in the house has also given us the chance to teach balance with these things too.
I am not sure how easily this would be achieved with older children who are less easily "controlled".

SoMuchToBits Sun 16-Jan-11 17:06:17

Lol, Franca! Was that the new one with the slide? We have that on our wishlist....

I think some games consoles can be ok in moderation, but a lot of ds's friends seem to get quite addicted to them, and this often results in battles when the parents try to set limits on their use. I also think too much television is bad (while a little can be a good thing, and can be educational) which is why I ration ds's viewing time.

Sirzy Sun 16-Jan-11 17:11:13

DS is only iccle at the moment so hopefully this is all a long way off!

I have no problem with him playing on the computer as he gets older for short (supervised!) lengths of time, or on the family wii on appropriate games. I will resist buying him any console of his own for as long as possible though and certainly would limit use and not let him sit in restaurants etc playing on a DS.

Francagoestohollywood Sun 16-Jan-11 17:13:41

Yes, the slide AND the shower (divine!)

I'd have never crossed my mind to get my toddlers electronic games. It is probably a mix of snobbery, but mostly the fact that I belong to a different generation. I was 12 when video games started to appear (in Italy). I don't view them as "normal" entertainment.
And I see ds's friends (and ds), moderation is not a word that applies to them.

SoMuchToBits Sun 16-Jan-11 17:19:52

I suppose it's the combination of being old (think I am older than you Franca) plus the fact that ds has never asked for one, that has prevented me from buying any consoles for ds. Also, I wanted him to play with stuff in an imaginative way (which IMO most games consoles/computer games don't really encourage) so I'm quite happy that he doesn't have any. He doesn't seem to be deprived by the experience.

bnm Sun 16-Jan-11 17:23:12

tried and still trying. power cuts are really helpful as are long journeys for holidays and holidays in accommodation with rubbish foreign tv.

whomovedmychocolate Sun 16-Jan-11 17:24:52

God no, we got DD a DSi XL for christmas - she's learned lots of new words (reading and writing) and how to hold a pen correctly, plus how to count, strategy, how to take pictures, not to mention the hand eye coordination improvements.

I think you are being extremely snobby.

There is a difference between letting them play Club Penguin/Brain Trainer and Modern Warfare! grin

And it's also helped DD's confidence. She has a princess game she sings to - she's always been too shy to sing in public but now she will and she's very keen to share her DSi and get her friends to have a go.

I think the failure comes when they are used as a babysitter not a toy. You are actually criticising your friends parenting not the toys. Which as we have previously established is verboten on MN unless you want a flame grilled toasty bum grin

Francagoestohollywood Sun 16-Jan-11 17:26:10

My son would love a wii, therefore I don't know for how long we can keep refusing to get him one (he is 8.5)

Francagoestohollywood Sun 16-Jan-11 17:31:28

But you can teach them hand eye coordination with a thread and a needle or beads etc.
You can give them an old camera and they can learn how to take pics.

etc etc etc.

I think it is lovely that your dd enjoys her nintendo, but it isn't the sole educational mean possible on earth.

whomovedmychocolate Sun 16-Jan-11 17:32:18

Franca - we have a WII - the problem with it is that it takes over the telly (we only have one of those) so we tend to let DD use the DSi.

DS (who is only two) is showing interest in the Thomas game on the WII though hmm

aviatrix Sun 16-Jan-11 17:33:19

Francagoestohollywood Sun 16-Jan-11 17:34:45

They take over, I know! That's why we've been resisting grin

aviatrix Sun 16-Jan-11 17:34:58

Sirzy Sun 16-Jan-11 17:40:04

I agree aviatrix

There are plenty of ways to do all those things with children, ones which don't involve sitting staring at a screen. They are ok in moderation but I wouldn't buy one for that reason. If anything it could almost be seen as letting the console do the teaching.

Clary Sun 16-Jan-11 17:43:09

We tried this and to some extent succeeded.

DD got a DS when she was 7.5 for Christmas. DS1 who is 2 yrs older hadn't wanted one. He then got one for 10th birthday.

DS2 got one last b/day, 7th. He was one of the few in his class who didn't already have one.

TBH they are played with, but not excessively. DD in partic can be without hers (I confiscate now and then) for days on end and not worry. She still reads lots of books.

We also have a Wii (got last summer) which is played with a lot but again, we were "late" with that.

It's not so bad as they play on that with friends, tho I limit it to an hour a day max.

How old are yr DC OP? It is important to remember a DS is just another toy, and as such, no better or worse than Lego, Monopoly, Build a Bear (all of which my DC enjoy) etc.

I do think that eg a 3yo is young for a DS tho - but that's mainly because they are relatively fragile and rather expensive; I wouldn't buy a toddler a £100 breakable toy myself. Also the range of games for a 3yo (ie a non-reader) is limited.

KalokiMallow Sun 16-Jan-11 17:45:55

"begged to be allowed to ... read a book or study or whatever"

Actually, that happened a lot when I was a kid.

And the educational thing depends on the game. IMO I prefer games to TV as at least they have an active involvement.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: