Talk

Advanced search

Aaaargh! Only mummy will do.....

(10 Posts)
desperatehousewife Fri 19-Aug-05 19:41:52

DS is 3. I normally put him to bed as DH on way back from work. Although 2 days a week DH works from home, so is around a fair bit and very much does his fair share.

DS is very particular about who he wants to do things for and with him.

Putting to bed is very much a me thing - only mummy will do. Think I need to break this habit and persuade him that it's a real treat for him and for daddy to be able to do the whole putting to bed thing.

If DS knows I'm out, he'll go to bed no problem for DH. If I'm in the house he really plays up and shouts and cries for me - we normally give in.

Thinking I should be harder about it and say, it's daddy or nothing. But don't want bedtimes to be a battle ground or for it to become a punishment for DH to put him to bed.

He was exactly the same when he was in nappies "I want mummy to change my nappy"...grrrr.

Any ideas greatly appreciated!

QueenOfQuotes Fri 19-Aug-05 19:44:39

Is there any reason why you feel DH should put him to bed on those 2 nights? If he goes down fine if you're out then, personally, I would't worry too much about it - plenty of other things DH can do to help.

desperatehousewife Fri 19-Aug-05 19:46:07

because it's nice for hubby to do it - he enjoys it and it frees me up from having to do it all the time I guess.

colditz Fri 19-Aug-05 19:48:51

Do you read stories? Say your eyes hurt, so there will be no story if you put him to bed, but daddy will read him a story if daddy puts him to bed, IYSWIM.

desperatehousewife Fri 19-Aug-05 19:50:04

yes, he get's 2 stories at night time. DH is up there now reading the stories, but I know that the next bit will cause problems - don't laugh - I always stroke his hair for a bit and we talk about what he's done today. I know he'll want me for that bit....grrr!

Tipex Fri 19-Aug-05 19:55:52

DH, I probably shouldnt comment as my LO is alot younger but I think that sounds so lovely...chatting about his day as special time with mummy. If he does let DH put him down when you're out and lets DH read him his story before your bit then it sounds not too bad??
Besides, you know kids, in another while it'll be only daddy that will do and you'll be redundant!

desperatehousewife Fri 19-Aug-05 19:57:05

yes, tipex your'e right. I should savour these times really...just worried about getting into bad habits - do you know what I mean?!

Tipex Fri 19-Aug-05 20:03:19

absolutely, spend most of my time worrying that the way i do things with DS is creating bad habits!! funny really as I've always been someone that has liked habits as a way to feel secure and yet now I seem to want to stop them!

lailag Fri 19-Aug-05 20:04:16

I know what you mean, "let's talk about busy day".
But if I say I am really too busy, he will accept his dad.

desperatehousewife Fri 19-Aug-05 20:18:14

that's exactly what mine calls it - he says "talk about my busy day" ! bless!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now