Advanced search

Can anyone recommend a carpenter/joiner in SW London, or nearby (e.g. London end of Surrey)? And what's the difference between a carpenter and a joiner anyway?

(6 Posts)
PortAndLemon Tue 22-Sep-09 19:24:05

The first part is of practical relevance as we need some bookshelves to fit particular awkwardly-shaped areas in the flat (and at least one of them needs to be less deep than normal bookshelves) so are unable to fall back on normal trusty IKEA option.

The second part I've always just wondered. Which is it I'd need for shelves, anyway?

Thanks in advance...

(Not posting in MN Local as I'd need to post in about five or six different areas)

BecauseImWorthIt Tue 22-Sep-09 19:26:32

I don't know a carpenter/joiner, but I do have a friend who is a general builder, who will have people like this 'on his books'. He's on holiday at the moment, but I'm happy to give you his details if you like?

I'm/he's in Merton Park, SW19.

loobylolly Tue 22-Sep-09 19:31:50

Chris Corke, 07747 670156, has done bookshelves and cupboards and all sorts for me and several friends, absolutely excellent quality and reasonably priced.

Joiner - little fiddly bits like cupboards etc. Carpenter - roof beams and suchlike. I think. Don't quote me!

Horton Tue 22-Sep-09 19:34:53

I know a great general handyman who has put up custom made shelves for us in some alcoves as well as loads of other stuff. He's called George Blanchard, he's in Richmond and you can find him on

PortAndLemon Wed 23-Sep-09 10:32:03

Thank you all -- very helpful. I knew Mumsnet would know...

Izabellla1 Thu 06-Apr-17 15:12:12

Abstracts joinery are great and you can check them on Facebook and they have a website as well

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: