loader

Talk

Advanced search

help what else can I do?

(11 Posts)
sallystrawberry Sun 06-Mar-05 14:23:25

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

serenity Sun 06-Mar-05 14:48:17

Right, first let me say that medically I know nothing.

At 10 unless he's seriously overweight, surely it's too early to get worried about his weight? Shouldn't he start having a serious growth spurt soon? My brother grew about 12 inches in 18 mths, and he definitely needed all the chub he had - he still got very lean for a bit, and ate like a horse as well! I think you're doing the right thing by trying to keep his diet as healthy as possible, but I think you need to let him eat more if he needs it, but things that will keep him feeling full iyswim

serenity Sun 06-Mar-05 14:50:23

sorry, that was a bit cut off. Kids wrecking the house!

I'm not sure what the best things would be, I suppose slow release stuff like bananas, wholewheat pasta? Someone is bound to know more about this!

lmccrean Sun 06-Mar-05 14:51:13

Maybe you could get referred to a dietician? I see you are very careful about his diet, but he is a growing boy, and needs a certain amount of fats etc

Like him, I always feel hungry, unfortunately, I cant put it down to a growth spurt, but I combat it by having 5 smaller meals a day, as well as having healthy snacks - like apples etc.

jangly Sun 06-Mar-05 15:04:52

Make sure there is a good amount of protein in each of his meals. Tbh the soup and bread would have been better with, say, some cheese or cooked meat. Having a balanced meal with some of all the food groups makes it less likely that he will need to eat between meals.

GRMUM Sun 06-Mar-05 15:05:01

Sounds to me like you're doing a great job so far sally! Don't forget he's coming up to puberty and it sounds as if he's perhaps further along than other children his age. My experience with my teenagers is that a) they are hungry all the time b)they tend to plump up a bit and then shoot up in height.
I would try to get him doing as much physical activity as possible - which it seems he does quite a lot of already. He will embellish the truth sometimes about what he's eaten but i'm sure in the long run he won't do anything dangerous.Its hard I know a friend of mines son is type 1 diabetes and he is always asking for food and she often has to say no

sallystrawberry Sun 06-Mar-05 17:31:27

sallystrawberry Sun 06-Mar-05 17:33:26

StuartC Sun 06-Mar-05 17:54:22

A bowl of soup and and a slice of bread - I know nothing about nutrition, but I can understand him still being hungry. Does he really need to eat less - or can he eat loads of non-problem food? How about keeping carrots (peeled and cut into thick sticks) in the fridge along with celery, etc. Surely he can eat as much of this type of food as he wants? Boys like crunchy food as long as it's readily available.

sallystrawberry Sun 06-Mar-05 18:22:57

sallystrawberry Sun 06-Mar-05 20:37:52

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now