Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Why the hell does AOL keep switching off?

(13 Posts)
KBear Wed 26-Jan-05 20:17:52

I have phoned them four times now and they talk me through some reinstallation of something or other (not particularly computer-literate in our house) but it STILL KEEPS SWITCHING OFF. When you're halfway through an earth-shatteringly important post it's disastrous (am typing quickly).

Anyone else having problems with AOL 9.0?

womba1 Wed 26-Jan-05 20:22:14

Me too KBear... it's bloody frustrating!

pinkdiamond Wed 26-Jan-05 20:24:29

Message withdrawn

Fimbo Wed 26-Jan-05 20:25:54

Yes me too. Couldn't even connect to the internet at all earlier

KBear Wed 26-Jan-05 20:28:56

I am stunned anyone even replied to my award-winningly boring thread but thanks anyway.

Do these people at AOL not know that us girls have to read, then think, then compose witty banter whilst typing.

I used a rarely used swear word tonight (no one else here thankfully) when I was cut off in my prime.

This has been happening all this month so tomorrow I am cancelling my direct debit and taking my business elsewhere. NER.

Any recommendations?

Fimbo Wed 26-Jan-05 20:31:28

My dh tried to cancel with them once, what a hassle that was, that is why we are still with them.

Snugs Wed 26-Jan-05 21:29:44

KBear - do you pay by direct debit? AOL told me I couldnt do that and insisted on a switch card. Still comes out of bank account each month but is set up different (called continuous authorisation) and can be hard to cancel if AOL dont cooperate.

Yorkiegirl Wed 26-Jan-05 21:32:25

Message withdrawn

nutcracker Wed 26-Jan-05 21:34:23

Are you on dial up or broadband ??

We are still on dial up with AOL, i tried to cancel once and they talked me into staying with them.

They are completely crap, i've lost count of the amount of times i have lost the connection.

I want to cancel now too and sign up to broadband with someone else but AOL have my card details so not sure what will happen.
I have never actually signed anything.

Yorkiegirl Wed 26-Jan-05 21:35:36

Message withdrawn

Earlybird Wed 26-Jan-05 21:37:57

Just had my computer professionally serviced/de-bugged, and the tech guys told me to go back to AOL 7.0. They said too much goes wrong with the newer versions, and that 7.0 is the most straightforward/reliable....that is, if you're still in the dark ages like me, and use dial up!

Snugs Wed 26-Jan-05 21:40:05

nutcracker - if you want to make sure AOL don't take any further money after you cancel, cancel the card as well. Any new card issued on your account should have a different number (and even if the card number is the same, the security code will be different)

KBear Thu 27-Jan-05 14:15:12

I pay by direct debit and if I cancel it at the bank that's that, they can't argue.

I thought the helpline was in India! They were very nice and all that but after four conversations about it, I finally got someone to say it was AOL's fault not my PC. Never had this problem on AOL 7.0 but when I tried to go back to 7.0 this time I had the same problems.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now