Talk

Advanced search

I lvoe the City he loves the Country - how to resolve?

(39 Posts)
ks Mon 20-Dec-04 14:52:00

Message withdrawn

SantaFio2 Mon 20-Dec-04 14:54:06

yes, i like living in towns and dh would logve to be in the middle of nowhere

we live in a small town/large village. i have just got used to it. Sorry most probably doesnt help matters

feastofstevenmom Mon 20-Dec-04 14:55:06

yes, we live in city centre flat atm - which I love, but DH is fed up. After our car wing mirror got nicked last week DH was seriously contemplating us moving to the Hebrides(!)

Rather than London surburbia, what about oxford/cambridge/cotswold areas?

ks Mon 20-Dec-04 14:57:46

Message withdrawn

feastofstevenmom Mon 20-Dec-04 14:59:09

what about oxford or cambridge itself, some very nice bits (if you can afford them!) near the city centre and plenty of intellectual booky types around.

SantaFio2 Mon 20-Dec-04 15:00:00

people here are very slow ask for a sandwich and they make it from fresh except they are on another planet and they chatter and its as if time doesnt really exist. it has took me ages to get used to. All my visitors comment how 'half-soaked' people are here

must stop...not helping...

ks Mon 20-Dec-04 15:04:02

Message withdrawn

feastofstevenmom Mon 20-Dec-04 15:05:16

hmmmmm

now if you had looked in Blackwells in Oxford ....

but if you are near station in Oxford, only 1 hour on fast train to Paddington.

Hulababy Mon 20-Dec-04 15:06:07

My friends live in Surbiton. It is a nice week train into and out of London, and seems a nice place too. We've had some lovely walks down by the river.

SantaFio2 Mon 20-Dec-04 15:06:42

ROFL ks

the only thing that keeps me sane is that i am 15 mins from canterbury else no one would be getting anything for christmas and I would have jumped off the parapet by now;)

ks Mon 20-Dec-04 15:08:12

Message withdrawn

SantaFio2 Mon 20-Dec-04 15:09:15

I have me dear

didnt actually know what one was before I bought this hellhole

Lucycat Mon 20-Dec-04 15:13:06

Never mind all this London business - move to the North West! We live 20 mins from City centre Manchester (Harvey Nicks / Selfridges etc) and in 10 mins more we can be in the Peak District - gorgeous and can be remote if you want it. No, I don't work for the Tourist board - just love it up here!!

spacedonkey Mon 20-Dec-04 15:13:56

Cambridge is lovely and I'm positive the staff in foyles wouldn't give you that sort of gyp.

You ought to write plays ks, your gift for dialogue shouldn't be wasted!

feastofstevenmom Mon 20-Dec-04 15:15:38

where are you Lucycat - as funnily enough that is the option I quite favour as a compromise for the next move - from Liverpool to Buxton/Sheffield

Lucycat Mon 20-Dec-04 15:18:14

Try looking in areas like Marple (outskirts of Stockport!) lovely old houses.Bramhall, Stockport is great too( footballer's favourite!) Buxton's nice if you like getting snowed in every winter! I could go on for ages!!

Lucycat Mon 20-Dec-04 15:19:35

Back later fsm, nearly forgot to get DD1 from school OOps!! MN has a lot to answer for!

snowmeltsonthebeach Mon 20-Dec-04 15:19:53

how about doing a relocation relocation programme and going to house in London with small cottage outside for long weekends......

aloha Mon 20-Dec-04 15:54:14

No offence, but really, Surbiton...! Could you do it? Chiswick is country really. It has a river and everything.

snowmeltsonthebeach Mon 20-Dec-04 15:55:43

aloha - hope you haven't got a 4x4 to cope with all that 'country' in Chiswick!!!!!!

aloha Mon 20-Dec-04 16:00:01

Oh, I don't live in Chiswick! I live in Camberwell (Peckham borders), which is why Chiswick seems like country to me, probably.

ks Mon 20-Dec-04 16:41:38

Message withdrawn

noddyholder Mon 20-Dec-04 16:43:20

There are loads of nice villagey places in sussex between london and brighton so you get the best of both worlds.Also some v good schools if you are looking at those aswell

prufRockingAroundtheXmasTree Mon 20-Dec-04 21:55:36

Yes you would be OK if you got a London fix. It's OK for him to love the countryside - he is within drinking distance of decent coffee every day. You know I actually miss that smell of smoke, petrol and sweaty bodies that can only be found in the city.

Is Cambridge not an option? Really good train services to Kings Cross, and soon to be better services to Liverpool St as well. And plenty of black rimmed spectacle types.

Why do you need a family home btw - there are only 3 of you. Big family homes just need more cleaning

midnightmass Mon 20-Dec-04 21:57:43

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now