Talk

Advanced search

Lovely Mumsnetters, littlelapin needs your help coming up with a good project for her Masters

(30 Posts)
littlelapin Mon 24-Sep-07 13:08:12

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

CountessDracula Mon 24-Sep-07 13:09:12

How about something that senses when you have important things to do and blocks you from mumsnet...

MamaG Mon 24-Sep-07 13:10:03

[thick emoticon]

I dunno

Cammelia Mon 24-Sep-07 13:11:20

Something that makes you a cup of coffee whilst you are mumsnetting

littlelapin Mon 24-Sep-07 13:12:12

Threadworm Mon 24-Sep-07 13:20:40

Something along the lines of Countess Dracula's might truely be useful: I mean a version of 'parental control' type tools that allows you to ration your access to the internet or to certain sites -- so that you could have full Administrator priviledges on your computer but still not undo a prohibition you had placed on your own internet use.

And a related thing: parental controls in general are very clunky and inadequate. Using Macafee I can't set mine in a way that lets my 12yo look at everything he might reasonably want to but still prohibits the bad stuff. (Internet time limits are also clunky)

nailpolish Mon 24-Sep-07 13:23:12

oh dh does that at work
he helps students who have problems with sight or hearing
he falls in love with the guide dogs, mainly
also students who dont speak english

littlelapin Mon 24-Sep-07 13:23:39

Cammelia Mon 24-Sep-07 13:24:29

Your dh falls in love with students who don't speak english ? shock

nailpolish Mon 24-Sep-07 13:26:32

lol

Marina Mon 24-Sep-07 13:26:35

How do you feel about a really GOOD and well-designed parenting portal LL?
something that links accessibly and in a refereed fashion to the best of the UK and world's parenting advice sites?
I love MN dearly smarm smarm, but its useful links bit's not a fully functioning portal as such.
And THEN you could flog your finished product to Mn as a bolt-on
Mail me about dh's portal product in a different market, which has won awards etc

littlelapin Mon 24-Sep-07 14:21:31

Desiderata Mon 24-Sep-07 14:35:27

DIY for women ... please.

Everything you need to know in easy text, with diagrams and photo's, and pictures of all those tools that men give funny names to and which leave me clueless ... like, "could you pass me the screwdriver with the flange nipple on it."

And it could be funded by advertisers who make funky tools for women. Oh, I'd love a website like that. If I could put up a shelf, I'd only need dh for sex ... and that's exactly how it should be grin

littlelapin Mon 24-Sep-07 14:40:46

Boco Mon 24-Sep-07 14:42:07

Oh i'd so subscribe to Desi's site. I would like that,combined with a site that explains in total basic and simple language all the complexities of taxes and finance and mortgages and general life stuff that you forgot to listen to and now you're too old and you don't get it and just pretend to. I had a book a bit like that called Women Unlimited.

stressteddy Mon 24-Sep-07 14:42:42

A site where you can ask a question and get a definitive answer not just a list of websites to trawl through. I understand that google are trying to invent this at the moment so good luck in getting their first. It could make you millions never mind the Masters
smile

Boco Mon 24-Sep-07 14:43:39

My dp has this idea for an internet thing that he thinks is brilliant, but he'll never do, but if i told you, and someone did it, he'd never forgive me.

TheArmadillo Mon 24-Sep-07 14:46:10

SOmething that lets you block certain internet sites would be good.

WOuld have done so much more work for my degree if I could have blocked things like MN and only accessed the sites I actually needed.

The DIY site sounds good, we have a book like that with full photo illustrations and everythign. TIs great. INternet resource would be good.

littlelapin Mon 24-Sep-07 15:41:13

littlelapin Mon 24-Sep-07 15:41:24

Cappuccino Mon 24-Sep-07 15:45:11

do me a site for holidays which are accessible for families with disabled children

if I have to look at another bloody old biddy in a bathchair when looking for holiday cottages I may well explode

it's all about the old biddies. "We have a lovely garden for you to sit and relax with your tartan blanket over your knees, watching the beautiful clematis climbing slowly over the trellis"

littlelapin Mon 24-Sep-07 15:47:53

Cappuccino Mon 24-Sep-07 15:48:40

yes do

tell her no blue rinses anywhere in sight is good

niceglasses Mon 24-Sep-07 15:55:21

I think something along the lines of what Marina is proposing. MN great obv, but its not a portal. I'm sometimes surprised how little info, yes little, or else am dim, there is online for parents.

And it needs to be

Local (todd grps, NCT, good shops, )

Incorporate something like the Mumsjobs thing or whatever is called - but something which brings together working and childcare

Childcare
Medical
Behaviour
Emotional

Its a massive area, but yeah a portal I've often thought is needed in some form.

TheDuchessOfNorksBride Mon 24-Sep-07 16:42:12

LL - if you're not too busy with this and as you keep leaving your CV all over my threads, are you interested in working on Woome? We might need an HTML/CSS person (Javascript also useful), possibly working from home.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now