Advanced search

having a phone line moved

(13 Posts)
throckenholt Wed 04-Jul-07 09:19:19

has anyone had it done ?

We are remodelling our house (and building an extension) and want to change where the phone comes into the house, and where the master socket is.

I have looked BT's website - no mention of the scenario - just adding an extra line or a new one from scratch.

I would like to know how much it is likely to cost (and don't really want to brave the BT helpline !).

TequilaMockinBird Wed 04-Jul-07 09:24:00

Throckenholt, if you look on the website under TRC charges (Time related charge) you should find the pricing there. I think this work is almost always done on a TRC basis. If not on the website try - probably under lineplant rearrangement.

throckenholt Wed 04-Jul-07 09:28:19

thanks a lot - I would never have thought of looking under that (lineplant rearrangement, time related charge - sounds like a random assemblage of words to me ).

TequilaMockinBird Wed 04-Jul-07 09:31:42

No problem, let me know if you get stuck - i work for them doing this sort of thing every day but sshhhh

throckenholt Wed 04-Jul-07 09:36:53

thank god for that ! It is pretty much gibberish to me !

I have got this far from the website :

1. we are asking for "Requests to shift or reposition the external wire leading into the same customer building" - charge £99.99

2. I am puzzling about do we have to pay for moving the "Network Terminating Point ? (presumably that is the master socket as I called it) - or does that happen by default because you are moving where the wire comes into the building ?

TequilaMockinBird Wed 04-Jul-07 09:49:25

Is that from BT or Openreach website?

Can you link? I would imagine that price would include the relocation of the NTTP but I dont do it this way so will have to have a look!

throckenholt Wed 04-Jul-07 09:54:25

[[ here]

throckenholt Wed 04-Jul-07 09:54:47

oops !


TequilaMockinBird Wed 04-Jul-07 10:00:19

Ah ok this is for overhead network i.e wires coming from telegraph poles to your property. I assume from your op though that your house is fed underground? There will usually be a little grey or black box on the front wall where the cable enters the property?

throckenholt Wed 04-Jul-07 10:06:19

it defintely comes in overhead (we are in the country) - just under the eaves, then is is fed down on the inner wall of the house and gets to an oldstyle socket in the living room. Do you know the ones I mean - about 3 inches across one wire in and one wire out (that leads across to the hallway to a modern style plugin socket).

TequilaMockinBird Wed 04-Jul-07 10:12:06

Yes I know exactly what you mean however I have only ever dealt with the underground ones (which i assumed yours was )..sorry!

Having said that, if you look at this page and find the local office for your area, there should be an email address where you can ask this question.

Sorry I can't help anymore but would hate to give you the wrong information and then you end up with a big bill!

throckenholt Wed 04-Jul-07 10:21:42

will do that.

thanks - you have been a great help (MN always seems to have someone that knows about whatever you want to know !).

TequilaMockinBird Wed 04-Jul-07 10:26:47

No problem, hope you get it all sorted!

I havent been around very long but have already found that you can get the answer to almost any question on mumsnet!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: