Talk

Advanced search

Jimjams - thanks for the link from a parent who has always wondered about autism.

(47 Posts)
dejags Thu 01-Jun-06 05:14:38

13 minutes

thanks for this link Jimjams. It answers so many questions I always wondered about but never had the guts to ask.

If only everybody could take the time to watch it.

PollyLogos Thu 01-Jun-06 05:56:19

Thank you for this link. I found the film very moving, it also gave me a visual image to the everyday difficulties that parents of autistic children live with every day and night that I have read about on mn.

I will never forget reading jimjams description of a day out with her family at (I think) a farm. I can honestly say that that changed my attitude to "badly behaved children" for ever. And, I am ashamed to admit thatI have worked for many years with physically disabled children and their families but I still didn't get it 100%.

Everybody should try to take the time out to watch this.

Cadmum Thu 01-Jun-06 06:02:19

Very moving and insightful. Thank you for sharing this link.

Bouj Thu 01-Jun-06 07:05:04

I watched it too. Thanks Jimjams, very moving and heartbreaking. I had always thought of autism from the parents point of view, but my heart broke for the little boy shown.

Jimjamskeepingoffvaxthreads Thu 01-Jun-06 07:43:28

Say thanks to Davros- she posted it originally! It is an amazing film. I have used every line in it, a lot of the things the mothers say I have said often (except the driving off the bridge bit- but after a shaky start to school we have been lucky enough to access excellent provision and are now in receipt of a lot of official support).

I think it captures life with an autistic child better than anything else I have every seen.

ruty Thu 01-Jun-06 08:31:22

i keep trying to watch this but the volume won't go up and i can barely hear it. Must try to get dh to see if there is anything i can do about the volume.

Jimjamskeepingoffvaxthreads Thu 01-Jun-06 08:32:50

Can you adjust it on your main computer? I can adjust either on the windows media player bit, or my main computer overall volume control iyswim.

FioFio Thu 01-Jun-06 08:35:11

Message deleted

katierocket Thu 01-Jun-06 08:53:24

Wow, that is such a powerful film. I had the same moment as pollylogos describes after reading that infamous description by jimjams and I can say that it really did make me less ready to judge. This would do similar I think.

They should show this to older children in secondary schools (or a version of it) since it's all of society that needs to understand better.

everyone should watch it

ruty Thu 01-Jun-06 09:05:56

the fact that i'm crap with computers doesn't help! will ask dh again tonight.

QueenOfFaff Thu 01-Jun-06 11:42:03

I watched it and was deeply moved. I also feel slightly better educated about autism. Thank you.

lionhearted Thu 01-Jun-06 11:46:23

Maybe a link to that original jimjams post and the description would help some people?

Pixel Thu 01-Jun-06 15:54:57

I've finally managed to watch it on someone else's computer and it was worth the effort. Thanks.

katierocket Thu 01-Jun-06 16:42:04

everyone should watch this

Jimjamskeepingoffvaxthreads Thu 01-Jun-06 19:21:31

lionhearted I don't thik there is an original post from me, I've been plugging it everywhere Davros started a thread in SN originally- called something like short documentary aboutnautim until SUnday (although obviously its there longer).

fattiemumma Thu 01-Jun-06 20:24:26

i swear that film is useing a script written by me!!

i have said each and every line of that film at least 1000 times!

im glad it has raised so much thought about the subject of autism....even if it has casued so much uproar over on the other board.

thank you for posting it.

MarsLady Thu 01-Jun-06 20:35:07

My friend has a son with autism. I never realised quite how exhausted she was until I had the DTs. For me however my exhaustion will soon be alleviated because my DTs are getting bigger and sleeping longer at night. Her exhaustion will not. Her son has been removed from his sn school because they do not have the funding, expertise, capability etc for dealing with his complex needs.

She has my admiration because despite everything she keeps going. Thanks for the link. It more than confirmed what I knew her life was like.

Jimjamskeepingoffvaxthreads Thu 01-Jun-06 20:45:00

Mars- my best friend (from forever we've known each other since we were 1!) has 4 children- the youngest are twins and our lives were really similar for a couple of years (when her twins were about 2). She really does genuinely understand what it is like. She is an absolute rock and I love her. (and she saw ds3 when he was about 10 minutes old- I ended up with a c0-seciton but she was there for the labour).

lionhearted Thu 01-Jun-06 21:55:56

Sorry Jimjams, I didn't make myself clear. I was thinking of the post that PollyLogos mentions relating to your day out (I thought it might be illuminating to those who haven't managed to see the film).

MarsLady Thu 01-Jun-06 21:59:05

jimjams, I'm glad that your best friend is who she is!

Well done for all that you do to educate people about special needs. I read the threads and don't contribute because there is nothing that I can say and it breaks my heart when people pass ignorant comment.

You have my now spoken admiration and are one of my heros.

Blossomhill Thu 01-Jun-06 22:01:31

lionhearted - what post was that?

Jimjamskeepingoffvaxthreads Thu 01-Jun-06 22:03:33

oh goodness lionheart- that was years ago (literally). Is search working? If not no chance of finding it!

Jimjamskeepingoffvaxthreads Thu 01-Jun-06 22:04:01

It was on a thread about circumcision! !!!

Blossomhill Thu 01-Jun-06 22:07:23

jj - sounds interesting

soapbox Thu 01-Jun-06 22:11:40

I watched it last night when the other thread was kicking off - but was a bit too red misted at that thread to post tbh.

I did find the film searingly honest, but nothing that Jimjams and other's haven't very eloquently said at one time or another on here! It is powerful being hit with it all at once though.

There were a few things that hit me more than others - the bagel lady (in another life), the girl who was totally besotted with her mum, the boy sitting on the window sill - I was deeply moved wondering about what he saw, what he made of the world, and generally I was concerned that some of the children seemed in pain (tone of the crying) constantly, which must be awful to bear if you are their parents

I hope I have a much better understanding of autism that I had before MN, and I hope that I understand enough to be empathetic and supportive of those parents with children with autism, in RL and on here. Nevertheless, my overwhelming feeling was 'there but for the grace of god...', a very very self indulgent view point though, but definitely how I felt at the end of it.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: