Talk

Advanced search

Can't decide if we want an only child, it's making feel really miserable

(7 Posts)
Candygirl39 Tue 02-Aug-16 18:46:00

We have a gorgeous girl who's 3 soon. I miscarried our first baby at 10wks which was heartbreaking as we had a 8wk scan and saw the heartbeat. I fell pregnant again 6wks later and had a very straightforward pregnancy and labour, luckily. We struggled as any new parents do but she settled at 11wks into a sleep routine and as a Sahm I really enjoyed being with her all the time. We discovered at 11 months though she had health problems and had to have a lower body cast for 4 months. It was a really difficult time but she's amazing and coped so well. She has yearly reviews now and is looking positive. We thought we would just have one child after everything but I waiver every day and just don't know what to do. Oh is happy either way but leans towards 1 as it's easy with her, she's very laid back and takes thing in her stride. She's at nursery 1 morning a week and will do her allowance from September, starting school next year. I'm looking forward to time to get things done in that time, if that isn't horrible to say?
I still have all her baby stuff, I tried selling bits but I constantly change my mind on whether we should have more. I want to declutter and feel certain but I can't. I want to enjoy my time with her but my thoughts are always on should we have more?? When we go out now she is desperate for a playmate and approaches other children, chatting away to them! She's amazing with other babies and is so gentle. I know she'd be an incredible big sister. I've just turned 40 but feel healthy and financially we'd be ok either way. May I ask how you came to the decision of having one child, if that's not too personal? Thanks smile

1Potato2 Tue 02-Aug-16 20:16:48

Sorry to play devil's advocate, but if you are obsessing about whether to have another, maybe you're not 'done'?

I can only speak for myself, but your post sounds like the types of things that went through my head. I obsessed about it every day. I ended up having another. I don't regret it.

Ultimately only you can know what you want though.

Dandelionandfizz Tue 02-Aug-16 20:24:18

I don't think you'd ever regret a child whereas you may regret not having another.

If your period was late and you took and test what would you actually want to see?

It's really only you that can decide but I have a close friend who was in the same position and now regrets only having one.

That said I intend to keep my family as a one child family. But I have luxury of being young with plenty of time to change my mind.

MaybeDoctor Tue 02-Aug-16 20:39:32

If you were 30 I would say take a bit longer to make up your mind.

As you are 40, if you menstruate regularly/get positive OPKs, I would suggest that you get an AMH test done at a private clinic - this test shows your ovarian reserve and will give you an idea of how feasible it might be to have another child. Remember there is no test for egg quality and all sorts of reasons why a fertilised egg might not implant.

I think that knowing how likely a pregnancy would be might be a short cut to helping you to feel happy about your decisions.

Needmorewine Sun 07-Aug-16 19:21:40

I think as a previous poster has said if you are constantly thinking about it then it implies you aren't "done". I have been obsessing about having "just the one" since DD was born and have felt much happier since DH and I have had a frank discussion & agreed to try for number two in a couple of years . Life with one is very tempting as I think there are so many positives to it but ultimately if you are hanging on to baby things etc I think that implies you should at least give it a try?

AgentJ Sun 07-Aug-16 19:32:58

Have one. You, and she, won't regret it.

user1466795981 Sun 07-Aug-16 19:55:52

To be honest I've met excellent people from all family sizes - from only children to children from 'average' sized families - 2/3, to children from MUCH larger than the average UK family. My comment may or may not help, but I guess what I'm trying to say is - worry not, whichever decision you make will be the right one.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now