Advanced search

Mva vs medical management

(6 Posts)
Bluejay123 Mon 09-Nov-20 20:53:27

I recently posted as on sat I went for a private scan which showed twin pregnancy but both were measuring behind with no hbs.
Today I went for nhs scan which confirmed this, however I have to wait another 10 days and be rescanned before they can do anything although I've been told the pregnancy is not viable.
In the mean time I have to decide between a medical miscarriage with pills or a medical vacuum with local anesthetic. Surgical d&c is not an option just now because of covid.
I dont want to do any of these options but of course I have to choose one.
Has anyone been in the same postion, which one did you go for? Was it the right decision?

OP’s posts: |
Emilu89 Tue 10-Nov-20 21:02:46

I'm so sorry for your loss and that your in this position.
I had a miscarriage at 12 weeks 4 weeks ago. I had the medical management and stayed in hospital overnight to be monitored first of all. 2 pessaries and then oral tablets every 2/3 hours throughout the night. I was told I had passed everything and for me personally I was pleased to be in the hospital setting for the reassurance. I was quite naive I think I wasn't expecting things to be quite so graphic and there to be so much! They doctor came and confirmed everything was passed. I went home the next day. My bleeding continued for 3 weeks. Sometimes quite heavy and some days I would get quite abit of pain but I was assured it was all normal. However nearing the end of 3 weeks I started with contractions (again I had no idea if it was normal, I'm a worrier so thought I'd missed the signs for an infection and was fearing the worst tbh!)
Unfortunately for me it the medical management didn't fully work and I had alot of retained tissue (I was so surprised because of how much I saw!) I had an MVA last week. It was abit uncomfortable but the procedure was quick, my bleeding is lighter (so far)
I think it depends on each individual, which I know really doesn't help you. For me I had the MVA because I just wanted to get on with life again. I feel like I've been bleeding for ages and its hard to move on mentally when there are still so many physical reminders! If you have any questions please feel free to ask, sorry this is very waffly! Good luck to you.

Cornflake24 Sun 15-Nov-20 16:07:16


I opted for MVA as the surgical option wasn't available either.

The procedure wasn't bad it was sore and I felt bruised for a week or so.

However I ended up with retained tissue which is apparently very common and ended up having a natural miscarriage anyway which was traumatic. However due to the MVA I ended up with an infection and the swelling from the procedure made it harder to pass the tissue and I ended in A&E with a blocked cervix.

If I did it again I'd go natural, it's horrible im not going to lie but the MVA is sore and you will be tender so if tissue is left it will be harder to MC

Everyone is different though just do what works for you

Bubble77bee Mon 16-Nov-20 10:41:09

I have had two MVAs, and found them to be bearable and quick. No pain at all afterwards and minimal bleeding. My miscarriages were quite early on. Sorry to hear of the difficult experience of the previous poster, but I thought I’d add my experience too.
I’m sorry that you’re having to make this decision.

Collins99 Mon 16-Nov-20 13:15:06

Hey, sorry you're going through this. I had an MVA which was not bad at all... although I ended up with retained products and had to have a ERPC 3 weeks later. I would chose this again though, it's nice to know everything is over and done with whithin a day. X

AliciaWhiskers Mon 16-Nov-20 14:29:56

So sorry for your loss OP. I am in a similar position (I miscarried 9 days ago but a scan at EPU this morning showed something still in the uterus - they aren't sure if it is blood or the gestational sac) so I had to choose too. I had been told that the tablets used in the medical management might make me sick, and as an emetophobe I freaked out about that and for that reason I have chosen to have the MVA, although the wait for this is at least 2 weeks, so obviously I may pass the remaining tissue in the meantime. If the likelihood of nausea/sickness wasn't there, I would have chosen the medical option as at least then I wouldn't have to wait for 2 weeks, which seems ages seeing as I have already been waiting for 3 weeks since my first scan when they said that the pregnancy was measuring small. It seems to be dragging on and on and I'm finding that hard to deal with.

So sorry to everyone who has been through the same.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in