Talk

Advanced search

would I be unreasonable to take time off work?

(8 Posts)
YassQueen Sat 10-Feb-18 11:03:10

I'm having a MC at 6 weeks. It's not a huge surprise, I've had spotting and pain on and off since 4 weeks but now it's properly kicked off. I'm bleeding very heavily, in pain, dizzy, feel sick. I'm due back in work tonight for a night shift after annual leave and I really don't feel well enough emotionally or physically, it's a very stressful emotionally demanding job.

My sickness record the last year has been awful (just bad luck - was taken to hospital from work with a cyst/fibroid, a massive stressful incident at an already stressful time etc), work are aware of the reasons and generally very supportive but obviously I'm worried about taking more time off, I love my job and want them to see me as someone reliable.

My biggest question is whether miscarriage counts as pregnancy-related illness. I know technically the pregnancy is over now but surely miscarriage would still count, so it wouldn't count towards sickness statistics? I know I'd have to have the usual return to work etc which is fine and work are aware of the reason as I took a day off before my annual leave when I was having cramping and spotting, because I thought it was all about to kick off then, but I'm worried I'll end up with a disciplinary.

I am bleeding very heavily so it's pretty academic anyway, I feel too shaky and sick to go in, but I'm hoping someone can put my mind at ease about the pregnancy-related illness aspect of it, if anyone knows?

AmUsername Sat 10-Feb-18 11:05:45

Oh love, take time off and look after yourself. Any manager worth their salt wouldn't worry about you're sickness record when it comes to a MC.
Sorry for your loss thanks

Miami81 Sat 10-Feb-18 11:06:41

As far as I know having had two miscarriages, yes counts as pregnancy related illness.
I am so sorry for your loss. Mind yourself.
You certainly can't go to work anyway, but hope that you get some reassurance from knowing it's totally covered.

riddles26 Sat 10-Feb-18 11:07:55

I'm so sorry you are going through this thanksYes it is pregnancy related so doesn't count towards your sickness record statistics. Don't underestimate the physical and emotional toll of a miscarriage, it's truly exhausting. I needed a couple of weeks when I went through it and was still absolutely exhausted when I went back so was put on reduced hours by GP. Take all the time you need to recover

afrikat Sat 10-Feb-18 11:14:47

So sorry you are going through this. I ended up taking 2 weeks off after my miscarriage as I felt so awful and was struggling mentally too x

ElfEars Sat 10-Feb-18 11:20:07

So sorry you are going through this OP. Please take as much time off as you need. I was signed off for 3 weeks when I had a MC. It is pregnancy related illness so will not be counted.

MaverickSnoopy Sat 10-Feb-18 11:42:52

Former HR here. It counts as pregnancy related illness. An employer trying to imply that you should be at work during a miscarriage would be on shaky ground.

I'm so sorry for your loss. Rest and don't worry yourself about work flowers

YassQueen Sat 10-Feb-18 12:07:48

Thank you for the reassurance and kind words.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now