Talk

Advanced search

MMC: What management option is best?

(10 Posts)
enviousllama Wed 19-Nov-14 14:52:39

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

fromwesttoeast Wed 19-Nov-14 16:47:40

Sorry this has happened to you. I had a MMC last year, found at 12 week scan. I opted for medical management. I had to go in on a Sunday and expect to be there most of the day. It was fine. Straightforward. I took the pills and the bleeding started. There was a lot of blood and clots, and after a few hours I passed the sac. Although it was not pretty it was not too painful. I could feel when I was about to pass a big clot or sac and then it just slipped out. I did not need painkillers.
I know it's not like this for everyone but for me it was really not too bad, considering the circumstances. I prefer it over surgery as I don't like the idea of having things done to me while I'm unconscious.
I'm having another miscarriage at the moment. It's going really slowly and I think I may need medical help. If offered I will opt for medical management again this time.
It's your choice, but medical management doesn't have to be too scary or horrific. Hope that helps.

Flower29 Wed 19-Nov-14 17:59:08

So sorry for your loss enviousllama. I had mm 2 months ago. I had pessaries in the morning and it took about 5-6 hours for me to pass the baby/sac. It got more painful up to this point, like bad period pain/ very mild contractions and I had codeine. This was more because I didn't want to feel anything though rather than it being too painful. It was an awful feeling waiting for the baby to pass and not knowing when it would happen but once it had passed I felt very relieved. Unfortunately I think my placenta broke up so I ended up passing loads of very large clots for the rest of the day and I stayed in hospital overnight. I then bled for about 5/6 weeks which varied from spotting to heavy, it then stopped abruptly and I've had nothing at all since. My husband stopped with me in hospital which really helped, so make sure you have someone there with you. X

Erica21 Wed 19-Nov-14 22:32:07

Hey envious,
So sorry for your loss. I had a mmc at 12 wk scan at the end of July. I wasn't offered medical management (kent) only natural or surgical and chose ERPC to get through the physical side as soon as poss. I naturally miscarried at home the day after my scan in the end, where sadly I saw the baby, and then had a lot of heavy bleeding but still needed surgery for retained materials. The procedure was quick, 30 mins at most, had my own room to recover from, went in at 7am and was home by 1pm. I too have a DS and found it easier to recover from to be able to look after him.
Sadly I've just gone through a 2nd MC and had to have another ERPC, this one is taking longer to recover from, but the 1st I had no bleeding afterwards and period came back in 29 days.
Let me know if you need any more info.
west are you ok? Just been through my 2nd MC (2 in 3 months) it's so hard, I hope you're ok flowers

enviousllama Wed 19-Nov-14 23:02:04

fromwesttoeast Wed 19-Nov-14 23:02:29

Ahh thanks for asking Erica. I'm doing ok, I did not allow myself to get hopeful about this pregnancy in the first place, so it's easier to accept. The MMC last year was much more shocking, especially having gone through booking appointments and all that.
Miscarriage is a rough ride. But we'll make it through. flowers

fromwesttoeast Wed 19-Nov-14 23:05:39

And flowers to envious too.
The worrying and waiting may well turn out to be the worst bit.

Erica21 Wed 19-Nov-14 23:17:08

The waiting and not knowing is the worst. Sorry envious - I hope it's over quickly, but I hope you're not in any pain. Have you got some strong ibuprofen/pain meds? Fingers crossed it happens naturally and you can begin to recover as soon as poss, thinking of you both flowers

enviousllama Wed 19-Nov-14 23:30:20

enviousllama Wed 19-Nov-14 23:33:53

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now